Notices

Land & Sea drive Extension.

Old 04-25-2002, 06:13 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land & Sea drive Extension.

Land & Sea drive Extension.

I talked to a few people about my boat and they say that it likes the drive set back rather than raising the drive height. But installing a stelling box would interfere with the swim platform. so I was thinking about a land & sea extension. I heard some good things about them and also heard some people spent a lot of $$$ with not much to gain. My question is how much stress do they put on the drive if any and what kind of power can the hold. This would be going on a 28 Scarab with a single 575 -600 HP engine. Also I have a IMCO single ram steering. What do I have to do to the steering to compensate for the set back of the drive???
Old 04-25-2002, 07:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just took two Stern Jacks off my 38' They are basically an aluminum box that you mount to the bell housing with long studs. The steering and trim cylinders must be modified. The Trim cylinder rams are cut and you have to weld on an extension tube. The steering may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. Mine had a Latham setup that when the sternjacks were put on they provided a special setback plates and rodends and clevises. This was so you just use the standard mount and steering cylinder. During installation the input drive shaft is detached at the U Joint and then you put their new yoke on the old drive and then use your old driveshaft to go back into the coupler basically a swap of a few parts.

I removed mine because I needed to get stronger drives and the new IMCO SC's I bought were not known to work with the stern jacks.

The way I understand it the sternjack works well on smaller boats but not as dramatic on larger boats like my 38' Here is a picture of the steering setup.

I will be selling them if you are interested but at this time I need to inspect them and figure out what else would be needed from land and sea like gaskets and such to make the sellable.

The installation manuals are online at their website
Attached Thumbnails Land & Sea drive Extension.-sternjacklatham.jpg  
Old 04-25-2002, 10:45 PM
Registered

Hey Raypanic, I have a friend that may be interested in the other extension, let me know how much once you know, Thanks Dwight
Old 04-26-2002, 08:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Whitey,

No problem, the nice thing is I have the trim cylinders that are allready welded up and in working order. (I put brand new ones on the new setup) This will make the install basically a bolt on deal. I will let you know.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:41 AM
Brad Perry

Can you give details of the differences you saw, before and after?

Old 04-26-2002, 08:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sorry Brad, I bought the boat with them on it. - No Idea
Old 04-26-2002, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up L&S and steering.....

Hot Boat,
you might want to speak with Full Throttle Marine in TX. They are, as we speak, doing one of these setups with Mayfair steering. They have finished one with excellent results I believe. They may be able to help you out with sales and install issues.
Ask for Bob at 830-693-5591
Dave
Old 04-26-2002, 05:42 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Thanks guys for the help.

What you are saying is that the trim rams and steering rams have to be cut and extended???? Do they supply the parts to do so or is this done by a local welder????

Ray I would love to buy a set from you but currently its not in the budget. But I would like to know roughly what it is going to cost me to install a used one.

If any one has installed one , if you can please post what kind of results you seen.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hot Boat,

The trim ram extenders are included with the kit but they are simply just tubes that you have to cut the ring off the trim ram and have someone weld in between. I would guess about 5 Hours for an install If the mechanic can weld. I will e-mail you the installation instructions.

P.S. Email me your E-mail address

Last edited by Raypanic; 04-26-2002 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hot Boat
Sounds like your looking for 1 stearn jack.If thats the case I have have got you covered.I have a complete assembly including extended rams for Bravo 1 drive, also filled in the land & Sea logo on sides and painted them Merc. black . If interested .

Quick Reply: Land & Sea drive Extension.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.