broken valve stem seals >

broken valve stem seals

Notices

broken valve stem seals

Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhammer
Here's a graph from the dyno numbers at 32 and 34 degree timing.

There is something going on at the end that didn't look too good to me. Could that be signs of valve float? The dyno guys didn't even blink and I didn't worry about it much because I'll prop for 5300-5400 rpm. It sounded perfect all the way through (to me).
Please trust when I say I am no expert however it certainly apears there is an issue. If the engine is still on the dyno have them hold a load at 5,300 - 5,500 for about 15 seconds. You should even be able to hear if or what is going on. I would think it would start to brake up and or get a flutter. Almost sounds like your hitting a rev limiter also. I really just want to make sure you end up with a good valvletrain. I learned a lot a while back in regards to unstable valvetrain. I had a combo of things going on. Bob (rmbuilder) really helped me pinpoint the problem. It was very frustrating seeing my engines end up about 100 hp less than anticipated. It was simply a situation of where to many hands were in the project. Cam guy gave incorrect info to the head guy and so on. Pushrod thickness also. I had a pretty aggresive cam lobe though. I have since ordered a complete valvetrain from Bob. Make a call to Bob. He will let you know in a hurry and take the tech line out of it. I spent much time with Bob with my current situation and must say I learned a great deal for any future HP builds. I probably spent 4 hours with him over the phone and emails before I ordered anything. He is a great guy and just enjoys what he does. I could easily go on and on but make the call. You won't regret it. Trust me. I seriously can't imagine your lifters aren't jumping off the lobe. Kind of look at it like your ass is a lifter on a radical roller coaster. The heavy people always tend to stay in their seat while the lighter ones are up and down. With your fresh springs you may have gotten away with a little however in the near distant future I would imagine you'll see more and more power loss.

Sorry to ramble but just want you to have good results.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I talked to the guy helping put these together and he reminded me that I set the valve height at 1.780 (stock is 1.875). This increases the seat pressure without increasing the open pressure and makes it possible to run with only the outside spring.

He basically said the same thing you guys are saying... take the heads off and make sure all the guides are .650" below the retainer. I basically f'd it all up by putting 1.8 rockers on without telling anyone... rookie mistake
Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Registered

Thanks Getrdunn, I read a lot of good things about RMBuilder. It's worth a call...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are running Isky 8005a springs you will most likly have to machine the guide to fit seals if you run both springs and the dampner.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

make sure all the guides are .650" below the retainer. (

You need a lot more than .650 if you are going to allow for a seal. Almost any good seal will be .100 thick and I like to see at least .080" additional, so you need to have around .800 between the retainer and the top of the guide.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Registered

Good point! Thanks again Bill... I'm taking them tomorrow to have the guides machined for positive seals. A more reputable place for performance engines this time.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

. This increases the seat pressure without increasing the open pressure
By the way, this is impossible. If you increase the seat pressure, you will increase the open pressure, period.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Have them cut the guide until it is only sticking up .600 above the spring pocket. Then, cut it for the pc seals. This is the way I have been doing it for years. That will give you enough room to run just about any cam you want. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 05-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Registered

Hey Bill, I got to thinking about that... the spring (805-DO) is supposed to have [email protected]>290lbs @1.350. I'm thinking in my mind that at 1.780" the spring pressure would be higher (say 135lbs) but the pressure at 1.350" would still be 290lbs.

The big question for me is, is that enough?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Registered

Thanks Eddie, I called the machine shop (Wayne Calvert in Denton TX) http://www.waynecalvertengines.com - These are the guys that converted my 330 blocks to 4 bolt mains so I've done some business with them. Wayne Calvert has been building engines forever and is like 120 years old now... I'm not so sure if that's an asset or a liability. Anyway, over the phone it was $160 to mill the guides for pc seals. When I get there the guy tells me the seals I have are actually pretty good an I should just mill the guides for the correct clearance... then tells me it'll probably be a 'couple hundred'. I'm thinking to my self.... here we go again. I'm going to call them and tell them I want to go ahead an keep the original plan of pc seals and also tell them i'd like them .600 above the pocket. First I expect them to say, no no no, you can't do that. Then I expect them to say, if we do that it'll be xxx more to get it done AND the seals are a special custom wizbang seal costing $25/ea. These are normal cast iron large oval 049 heads. Is that a problem with .600 above the seat? How about cost?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.