Flushing out impeller pieces?

Notices

Flushing out impeller pieces?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing out impeller pieces?

I lost an impeller last weekend nothing left but the center hub. There was a couple of large pieces still in the pump housing. I back flushed and got a lot of small pieces, pretty good pile of stuff. Is there anything else I need to look at or is this good enough. As small as the pieces were there was no way to tell if I got it all or not. I also used a shop vac and pulled back thru the oil cooler too. It is a 502 MPI. When I put the hose to the outlet with hose off at the t stat water is flowing good.

thanks Jerry.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should be okay. A good backflush will usually get most of it. You might also trying to flush it forward and then back once or twice, I dislodged a few pieces like that a month or so ago when I did it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually you can remove the hose on the inlet side of the cooler after the pump and get the rest/all the peices by feeling inside. Be sure to feel along the lower surface.

The inside of the cooler will have the tubes support plate just a couple inches inside from the end that will catch all the peices. Sometimes all the peices won't get flushed out by simply back flushing. At least from my experience. I always peice the impellor back together to see if all the peices are retrieved for a peice of mind.