Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
holey carb gurus >

holey carb gurus

Notices

holey carb gurus

Old 06-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with everything Jeff1000 says. Lots of issues seem to come from guys cranking the idle speed screw up to get the engine to idle higher. Ends up with a crappy idle mixure, as the carb comes off the idle circuit. If adjusting the little mixture screws on each side of the bowl has almost no effect, the idle speed screw is prob set too high.

Oh, and sometimes adding more base timing and taking a little out the the advance can help clean up the idle.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iam running 1" hvh super sucker spacers new this year but it always had 1 " open spacers
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Rick,

Put a little more fuel in the idle circuits like 1/8 turn additional(out) on each screw until it stops stalling. Shouldn't affect the idle to the point it will hurt the drives.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still say after the carb is ajusted out that a really good valve adjustment makes all the difference in the world when you are trying to strengthen an idle. Re set them after you run the boat for a while and the lifters are pumped up.

Strengthen the idle screws until it stops stalling. The only issue you will have is that the carb will be loaded up strong when you come off plane, but a quick bump to the throttle will get them straight again.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

retighten the carb to manifold bolts,,,sounds like a vacuum leak
Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

here's a good read for ya to give you a ides on how a carb works..

http://www.candsspecialties.com/tuning.html
Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rssteiny
Mine only have 2 screws on the primary side both were 1 turn out, also my float levels are at the bottom of the sight glass is that ok.
Go to 3/4 turn out and retest (in 1/4 from where you are at 1 turn out). If still not satisfied go to 1/2 turn out. That should do it. If not, you will need to open the secondardy idle srcrew a bit so we can close the primary idle screw to get on the idle circuit.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Registered

Both were at 1 turn out im going to turn them all the way in then 1 1/2 turn out then go from there on water this weekend.

Thanks guys
Old 06-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by rssteiny
Both were at 1 turn out im going to turn them all the way in then 1 1/2 turn out then go from there on water this weekend.

Thanks guys
if you go 1 1/2 turns out it will probably stumble and load up at idle..out makes it fatter and in liens out the mixture.

i always start at 1/2 then adjust the rear throttle blade for idle..never touch the front,,read the c&s post,it has good info.

if your getting reversion at 800 rpms then you may have to live with it or restrict the water coming our of the pipes and run some through hull fittings and dump the water their to..

Last edited by FIXX; 06-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
if you go 1 1/2 turns out it will probably stumble and load up at idle..out makes it fatter and in liens out the mixture.

i always start at 1/2 then adjust the rear throttle blade for idle..never touch the front,,read the c&s post,it has good info.

if your getting reversion at 800 rpms then you may have to live with it or restrict the water coming our of the pipes and run some through hull fittings and dump the water their to..
Mine only have 1 idle set screw and 2 air bleed screws in front none in rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.