Priming Oil Pump >

Priming Oil Pump

Notices

Priming Oil Pump

Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Priming Oil Pump

I have a new 2006 6.2L that has been stored in the crate for 4 years. It was serviced with an engine storage product at that time. I am getting ready to install and have changed the water pump impeller and drained (let sit for a couple weeks draining) and today I replaced the oil. I have removed the plugs and serpentine belt and gave each cylinder a squirt of Dexion. Initially I gently turned the crankshaft with a wrench and rotated it several times. The engine turns freely with the starter motor hot wired. I have cycled it atleast 15 times and expected the pump to push oil up to the filter location but nothing so far. I pulled one of the oil pressure senders off and there is oil there. Am I primed or should I keep cycling untill it reaches the oil filter mount on the top of the engine?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a cheap manual oil pressure guage on it, pull the distributor, and prime it with a drill and oil pump priming tool. It will make you feel better to just be sure. I can easily make 50psi on the drill in my motor. You may want to consider some valve springs after sitting that long.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

Is'nt the oil pump on that engine at the front and driven directly off the crankshaft? We have a tool to prime the oil system. consist of a small tank. Holds about 4 quarts of oil.
It has a hand pump on it. You screw the line into the hole where the oil sender goes and push oil thru the system.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

boatnuts,remove the sparkplugs,ground the ig system,and crank the starter for 30 seconds,your system will be primed,replace plugs,and your good to go.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Oh Boy
Old 06-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
boatnuts,remove the sparkplugs,ground the ig system,and crank the starter for 30 seconds,your system will be primed,replace plugs,and your good to go.
That is what I would do.