Notices

525s vs 700

Old 06-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525s vs 700

I am in the market for a 42 lightning. But confused between the 525s and 700s. I am told go for 525s if you want reliability and 700s for speed. I would appreciate any feed back. I am new to power boats and need advice.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense but if you are "new to power boats" a 42 Fountain is probably not a good choice.Unless you are willing to take the Tres Martin class and spend a lot of time with someone familiar running a stepped hull.

Even with 525s thats a 90mph boat and on the water thats fast.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nukid
I am in the market for a 42 lightning. But confused between the 525s and 700s. I am told go for 525s if you want reliability and 700s for speed. I would appreciate any feed back. I am new to power boats and need advice.

"New" to powerboats meaning this will be your FIRST boat? or "New" to powerboats meaning you have owned several "other" boats and this will be your first Offshore style boat?

I echo Expensive's opinion, thats a TON [actually SEVERAL tons] of boat to start off with, be careful out there!

If you mean the Merc 700's that are supercharged, I have heard they are pretty reliable, I dont know how much "less" reliable they would be than a set of 525's, however they will be a CHUNK more expensive, but, if you are looking at a 42 ft fountain you must be ready to drop serious green.

If its your first boat, I think a 42 ft stepped hull with around 1000 HP will be MORE than you need to "learn" with, the same boat with 700's might hold its resale value a little longer if you do decide to trade it in a few years............providing you live that long! LOL, just kidding, but, in all seriousness, you should really look at something a little smaller/tamer to learn the ropes with, just my opinion.

Either way, good luck and welcome to the fold!

Michael
Old 06-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Registered

Thanks guys,

I have had boats for as long as I can remember but I have never had a high performance boat. I currently have a yacht and I am looking for something more exciting.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Is this Sam.......from NY.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered

I say go as big and as fast as you can or you will want to go bigger and faster as we all do. You will spend alot more changing boats to upgrade than if you just go big and fast out the gate. Most will tell you they wish they were bigger and faster or there not telling you the truth. Thats my 2 cents have fun be carefull
Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Registered

You can talk to Chip Fendt if you want? He helps put potentiial owners together with buyers, he worked for Outerlimits and now Statement, its worth a shot.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nukid
Thanks guys,

I have had boats for as long as I can remember but I have never had a high performance boat. I currently have a yacht and I am looking for something more exciting.

You should be fine then but try to take Tres course.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rssteiny
I say go as big and as fast as you can or you will want to go bigger and faster as we all do. You will spend alot more changing boats to upgrade than if you just go big and fast out the gate. Most will tell you they wish they were bigger and faster or there not telling you the truth. Thats my 2 cents have fun be carefull
Speed is a highly addictive drug indeed!!!!!