Ran above 4000 rpm, overheated >

Ran above 4000 rpm, overheated

Notices

Ran above 4000 rpm, overheated

Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran above 4000 rpm, overheated

Ran the 489 with 4 hrs on it past 4000 rpm today...could only get it to about 4500 rpm and 43 mph on the GPS...anyway, noticed the oil pressure was only about 20-30 psi as i throttled it back to around 3k rpm, temp approaching 180,noticed a slight miss, then engine died. Opened engine hatch, water boiling in the hoses, got a tow back 1/2 mi to marina, checked raw water impeller, it was fine (replaced it with a new one anyway since I keep a spare on hand). Fired boat back up, noticed that water circ pump wobbles pretty good. I'm guessing either water circ pump or stuck thermostat?? Boat has not overheated previous outings, however today is the first time really have gotten on it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Registered

Default pump

Sea Water pump plumed barkwards?
Old 06-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by redcorvetteman3
Sea Water pump plumed barkwards?
confirmed the plumbing was correct, however the outlet hose was kinked and must of gotten twisted when I put the pump back on the motor after the rebuild. I should have known to tighten the hose clamp after mounting the pump on the block.