Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Poppin through exhaust >

496 Poppin through exhaust

Notices

496 Poppin through exhaust

Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Install new plugs, add methel hydrate to the fuel to get any water out of the system.

And change your water fuel separator filter.

These have saved me in the past.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ome-ideas.html
Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definetley plugs dont put cheap one in it though. had this prblem in my old baja h2x single 496 mag, and just recently in my 36 outlaw twin ho's just put new plugs in it and it went away
Old 07-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered

So this started up all over again on the port side, swapped out the same injector that was the culprit last time and all the plugs and fuel filters, and had no improvement, actually the starboard side started doing the same thing, checked spark on all cylinders, did a compression check again, to see if I broke anything, then had it plugged in to a laptop, the program says I'm at 100% power, HA!!! So I sent all the injectors, 8 and 2 "spares" out to be tested and apparently cleaned. While shipping I realized that at $150 a piece, that was a $1500 box I sure hope this works.
Had to vent and if anyone else is having this type of problem I figured I would keep you posted on my progress.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Registered

Wow thats a a lot of $$ for a test ,how much are they new for a set of 8 ? keep us posted on the outcome , i read all the 496 probs/and fixes and try and store as much imfo as i can on thes motors just in case it happens to me , i want to be ready , some very clever and helpfull people on this site ,its great .
Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

000joe:

I assume you are still discussing that your 496 engine is popping out the exhaust, or is it just a bad misfire that is something you are hearing out the exhaust when a particular cylinder does not fire like the others.
Usually injectors don't cause popping out the exhaust and a cylinder that dropping out does not make a popping noise as no cylinder pressure has built in that cylinder unless it fires.

Late injector timing could cause exhaust popping but that's pretty unlikely in this engine with its controls.

Is the engine performing with a power loss? Or is it just a noise?

You mentioned that some mechanical mods or redo's were done to the engine, could you describe those in detail as there may be issues with that work?

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

Sounds like a bad plug, causing a misfire. I would change those first before anything.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by paul buckner
Wow thats a a lot of $$ for a test ,how much are they new for a set of 8 ? keep us posted on the outcome , i read all the 496 probs/and fixes and try and store as much imfo as i can on thes motors just in case it happens to me , i want to be ready , some very clever and helpfull people on this site ,its great .
I apologize, their about $150 each new, the box was worth $1500, it's $25 a piece to flow test and service them

Originally Posted by Raylar
000joe:

I assume you are still discussing that your 496 engine is popping out the exhaust, or is it just a bad misfire that is something you are hearing out the exhaust when a particular cylinder does not fire like the others.
Usually injectors don't cause popping out the exhaust and a cylinder that dropping out does not make a popping noise as no cylinder pressure has built in that cylinder unless it fires.

Late injector timing could cause exhaust popping but that's pretty unlikely in this engine with its controls.

Is the engine performing with a power loss? Or is it just a noise?

You mentioned that some mechanical mods or redo's were done to the engine, could you describe those in detail as there may be issues with that work?

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
it is a back fire, I believe, through the exhaust, it started on the port side and then on the starboard side. the engine was replaced last year and I had the same problem on the port side, replaced the last injector on that side and it ran perfect. The engine is stock. I checked spark on all cylinders, as did a mechanic and he used a lap top to check whatever. the motor has an extreme loss of power, and would only reach 3800 rpm. the only work that was done after the initial replacement was by me, oil changes, an injector, and traditional diagnostic, pulling plug wires, disconnected coils, to try to isolate the problem. I actually spoke to you when I was buying my engine Ray, your always a great source of info on these motors, thank you!!

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Sounds like a bad plug, causing a misfire. I would change those first before anything.
changed all the plugs

thanks for all the responses guys!!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you try wires?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

The wires look perfect and when checking spark, I checked at the plug.....
Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Figured I would update incase anyone has a similar problem. Sent the injectors, and two old ones to marren fuel injection, in Ct, had them back within a week, found 4 were performing terrible all were dirty, serviced and sent back, I reinstalled last night and changed BOTH (thought there was only one) filters, and went out tonight for a quick blast, boat ran perfect cruised at 46mph at 3500 and touched 64 w.o.t. without staying in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.