msd problems >

msd problems

Notices

msd problems

Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd problems

last sunday went for a long boat ride and after sutting off for about 1 hour i went to start the boat and it would not start,no fire to the plugs.i pulled the cap off my msd distribetor and the small graphite ball that is in the cap that the rotor rides up aginst was laying on top of the rotor,and alot of graphate reasado,sooting,in and around the cap.the center of the cap where the ball used to fit looks as if it melted/corroded awy.i changed the cap and rotor.still no fire.i tested the msd box like the manual says,and the box checks good.i have spark comming out of the coil,but not to my plugs.is the pick-up in the distribter the problem?is there a way to check the pick-up or anyother part of the distribtor?i am running a msd6 marine bow and external rev-liminter,and coil.everything msd.thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the MSD website and download the pdf file on troubleshooting it tells exactly how to and how many ohms the distributor pickup is suppose to read. As well as other info you may need........................................Rjr... ............................
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

turn the ignition on, run a feeler guage between the pick up and the star wheel,,should get a spark out of the coil,,if not replace he pickup..

if thats notit then you may have a toasted coil wire

Last edited by FIXX; 06-16-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
sounds like you may have a tosted coil wire.
YEP
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Registered

i understand MSD is coming out with a new much smaller ignition package that you can carry on your key ring so that you always have one with you to get home with when their original stuff strands you.

they are available in 6 packs in case the trip is more than 25 miles
Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the magnetic pickups(made in china ) are junk !! they fail regularly...the older ones lasted well the newer ones that cost about $25 so figure how good they are...you are better off running a aftermarket HEI more reliable....parts available at any parts store...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by stevesxm
i understand MSD is coming out with a new much smaller ignition package that you can carry on your key ring so that you always have one with you to get home with when their original stuff strands you.

they are available in 6 packs in case the trip is more than 25 miles
yea,i was always told you better carry a spare unit,so i did,box,coil.i never thought i would have to carry the whole plucking ignition with me as a spare.