Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil temp sensor placement >

oil temp sensor placement

Notices

oil temp sensor placement

Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine in the remote filter adapter..works fine...temps right where they should be...
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie, mine is in the rear of my dooley 14qt pan and it runs about 300*. I guess I should add another one but, my oil cooler lines come off the two fitting above the oil fliter. Where else could i put one?
steve
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm confused on the oil routing on a stock 502 MPI, gen 5. I don't know if the oil that comes out of the block filter adapter goes through the remote oil filter first, or the oil cooler first? My engine is actually a gen 6 block, but with gen 5 accessories.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone had an interesting idea of using 2 senders - one before the cooler and one somewhere after, and then using a toggle switch to route both senders to the same gauge. With the flip of a switch, you can instantly see the temp before and after the cooler without taking up more space on your dash.

Mine is in the pan. I doubt if it makes a huge difference as long as it is exposed to a good flow of oil. You are really just watching out for an unusual spike in temperature - which would indicate that something is wrong. Once you get things dialed in, oil temps should stay pretty consistent.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
I'm confused on the oil routing on a stock 502 MPI, gen 5. I don't know if the oil that comes out of the block filter adapter goes through the remote oil filter first, or the oil cooler first? My engine is actually a gen 6 block, but with gen 5 accessories.
My 502mpi gen6 goes from the block adapter to the remote oil filter and then the cooler.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never put in the block....one the block becomes heated would give false readings I would thing...block temp mixed with oil temp...
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, so the side outlet of the block adapter is the output, goes up to the remote filter, outputs to the cooler, then back into the center fitting of the block adapter........ correct?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
Ok, so the side outlet of the block adapter is the output, goes up to the remote filter, outputs to the cooler, then back into the center fitting of the block adapter........ correct?
You got it.