Notices

RPM issues

Old 06-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM issues

tryin to figure this boat out. ive owned it for about a month. my problem is im only getting about 4200rpms out of it. its got twin 350 chevys with trs drives and 21p props. anyone have anyidea why i might not be getting the rpms? carbs were just rebuilt and motors only have 10 hours on them.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Not enough info.

How fast is it running? about 51 ish?

What motors are they? If they are 260hp Mercruisers, then when you say they have 10 hours on them, are they freshened with the SAME parts, or has somebody performed some ambiguous "upgrades" on them that may not be matched to the application?

If they are crate motors, what flavor are they (what heads, cams, intakes, carbs, compression ratio, etc)?

More info needed.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Registered

48 mph. they were in the boat when i got it. its got newer vortec heads, not sure what cams eldebrock performer intake, holley 650 cfm carbs, thats abot all i know about it. i do know that they are automotive comp cams in it. i called the guy i bought it from and he dont remember what the cams are. the boat has been sitting for 4 years with fresh motors. ive ran a tank throug it and put new fuel filters on it.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Registered

and i was told the boat use to run 65 with the old motors? idk what they were just that they were sbcs and it had cleaver props not sure on the pitch. i was almost thinkin it might have the wrong cams in it? but the guy that put the cams in dont remember exactly what he put in it cuz its been 4 years.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still not enough info, can you find a similar boat and see what they are running for props at what RPM? Perhaps try some 19 just to see if the motors are capable of spinning up to 4800 RPM. If it never has run up to par since the rebuild start looking at the basics first. Fuel delivery, compression check, timing, air, hull condition, drive and or tranny condition. If it did indeed run 65 prior to rebuild either the rebuild is fubarred or something else has gone major wrong. Could be anything....