Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil pressure gauge fluctuating above 3000rpm!!!! >

Oil pressure gauge fluctuating above 3000rpm!!!!

Notices

Oil pressure gauge fluctuating above 3000rpm!!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat
...1 second of zero oil pressure isn't going to do anymore damage than starting your motor that has been sitting for a few weeks without priming...
I'm doing my best to give you the benefit of the doubt here. If you're talking about idling the motor and having 1 second of zero oil pressure, then I'll just stay quiet and eat my popcorn.

If you're talking about loading a motor at 3000+ rpm in a marine application, then I must speak up and point out that you are very wrong.

Your later posts make it clear that your gauge system was at fault (which I would have put my money on in the first place), but this does nothing to overrule your misconception of what takes place at the bearing/oil/crank interface at a marine-loaded 3000+rpm.

One "TRUE" second of zero oil pressure in your V8 at 3500rpm on the "boat dyno" equals a teardown and new bearings.

This is far different then when you are sucking air into the oilpump on your old F150 cause you forgot to check the oil yesterday.

I'm happy that your situation turned out to be related to your indicator rather than the oiling system.

MC
Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
I'm doing my best to give you the benefit of the doubt here. If you're talking about idling the motor and having 1 second of zero oil pressure, then I'll just stay quiet and eat my popcorn.

If you're talking about loading a motor at 3000+ rpm in a marine application, then I must speak up and point out that you are very wrong.

Your later posts make it clear that your gauge system was at fault (which I would have put my money on in the first place), but this does nothing to overrule your misconception of what takes place at the bearing/oil/crank interface at a marine-loaded 3000+rpm.

One "TRUE" second of zero oil pressure in your V8 at 3500rpm on the "boat dyno" equals a teardown and new bearings.

This is far different then when you are sucking air into the oilpump on your old F150 cause you forgot to check the oil yesterday.

I'm happy that your situation turned out to be related to your indicator rather than the oiling system.

MC
Yes I was referring to idle hence the starting the engine without priming analogy.

Another thing I neglected to mention. I have an audible alarm which sounds on oil pressure below 10PSI.... So I know the oil pressure never "truly" was below that mark, I was still more or less searching for any common problems that I just don't know about, if at all there were any. If the motor would of truly run with no oil pressure under that kind of load for any period of time, it would be out and on its way to Sterling or Crockett's.

Sorry that everything was misunderstood and poorly portrayed on my part. Steve I didn't take your input as insulting to my intelligence. If I am wrong, I am wrong, and if someone can show me something better, I am all ears. When it becomes insulting to me personally by comments, yeah that gets to me because its very unprofessional and uncalled for. No need to sit here and say that I am the stupidest person on this forum or this is the stupidest post ever. That does not help one bit, actually just makes everything worse. I left out plenty of information that I guess I should of included, next time ask rather than tell me I am an idiot for not doing how you think... Thats all. Sorry if I came off as an ass, not intentional.

Thanks for the input and replies, at least it wasn't a bum oil pump.