powerglides with twin diesels? >

powerglides with twin diesels?

Notices

powerglides with twin diesels?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powerglides with twin diesels?

I really like the idea of Using the powerglide trans. in the boat with my twin diesels, But this is my question: I will be running modded 5.9l cummins diesels. using surface drives(no gearbox). How can i get left and right rotation at the propshafts? Can the 5.9 cummins be built to run in reverse rotation? Is there some small and strong "gearbox" that can reverse the rotation? (it would not need to shift , just change output rotation) Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited by TINO160; 06-21-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't reverse the glides, + doubt they would handle the torque, hurth makes reversable marine trans that will fit the bill...Rob
Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've been using glides in pro stock drag cars forever so I think a built glide can handle the load however I dont think they can be spun in the reverse direction. Why are we trying to re-invent the wheel again?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Reverse the direction in the surface-drive dropbox. This is the normal procedure...

Same rotation motors. Same rotation transmissions, same rotation accessories.

One drop box uses a chain drive. One drop box uses gears. End of problem.

MC
Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 AM
Registered

I know all about the glides in drag racing , we run a top sportsman car....still don't think they would stand up to the diesel torgue and the boat weight.....and still would not run reversed
Old 06-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Registered

No drop box, Tempest drives(kind of like a pulse drive). I really would like to run a glide as I know of a few that have proved to be very durable in single engine boats.(without a converter, with unlimited cooling potential and with the cost/weight savings compared to a 2 speed marine trans seems like it may be worth the effort). I will look into having a gearbox to reverse the transmission output rotation built by a local machine shop. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of something allready out there.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

An offset gearbox will move your shaft centerline about 5". This means your engine will need to be mounted 5" to the right of the existing shaft centerline, 5" to the left, 5" higher, or 5" lower than it currently is.

A gearbox that maintains the same shaft centerline will cost you some eye-opening money and will add at least 12" to your driveline length (which you may be able to accomodate easily, depending on how far forward your engines currently are.

If you aren't capable of doing the majority of the engineering and machine work yourself for this project, you have just passed the point at which "existing" marine solutions just started looking a whole lot cheaper than they did yesterday.

Good luck with your project. I'd like to keep watching this thread to see how it turns out.

MC
Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 PM

if a glide wont handle a diesels torque " maybe 900ft lbs" come on... the new coan will handle 2000hp.... pwoerglide is the way to go for sure. Ask Rik from arenson about the rotation, im sure he can help
Old 07-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Registered

There are marine 5.9l Cummings that are reverse rotation, do a google search , I found quite a few hits, pretty intresting stuff.