alpha one whining >

alpha one whining

Notices

alpha one whining

Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alpha one whining

running my boat over the weekend and noticed a whining noise at low speeds, pulled boat out, drained the drive oil and it looked like a milk shake, pulled the leg pressure tested it and found the gasket under the water pump leaking oil out of it. took apart and found a little piece of debris not letting it seal correctly. put it back together and fixed, now holds pressure. what should I use to flush the drive out with and what kind of gear oil should I put back into it, anything special, Im sure it did not do it any good running it all weekend with with water getting in the oil. prop sill feels like it spins reel nice and smooth, oh yea its a baja 220 sport small block 350
Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

The standard quicksilver stuff should be good in an alpha, as far as flushing it, just use the cheapest oil you can get ahold of... Im from the oldschool thought of first flushing with kerosene, because its thin, then oil. The thing with alpha's is the cost. I have a couple spares, one needs to be resealed and a waterpump, it was only a couple hundred more to get a band new SEI with the warrenty than to get mine resealed.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info, I dont believe it needs to be resealed, I believe I found the leak under the lower water pump housing, whoever put that water pump on did not get a good seal where it seals on to the lower unit, I took it apart and fixed it pressure tested it and its holding pressure. Im just wandering if I damaged it the unit by having water get in my gear lube. it was whining a little when I came back in last night, I guess my question is is my drive unit ruined, I estimate only about 4 hours on run time on it with it leaking.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

With the cost factor of ripping it apart which is the only way to be sure, I would flush it and go beat on it with a friend close buy to tow you in if it fails. if it still whines it has problems. Some may be of different opinion, but the SEI hasa good reputation and warrenty and the price point vs, rebuilding an alpha make original alphas disposable drives in my opinion.

Flushing it and sticking it back on and testing is cheap. A merc 350 on a 22 shouldn't be overly taxing.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered

thanks for all the info. how much does one off those SEI drives cost? I just bought this alpha off craigslist for 300$ and seems to be in good shape other than trusting a friend to put the water pump on it on friday when I was at work, I should have pressure tested but I did not, pretty stupid of me
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Registered

They are about 1,200 with 3 year unconditonal warrenty, even if you hit a rock or log, warrenty covers it