Synthetic for an older motor? >

Synthetic for an older motor?

Notices

Synthetic for an older motor?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've used Mobil 1 15W50 in marine motors with roller cams since '99. Not one issue with it being too slick and flat spotting the rollers on the lifters. Amsoil claims their product is superior to Mobil 1, yet provides more friction in the motor so the rollers on the lifters don't slide. Say again? More friction = better oil?
Find me ANYWHERE Amsoil states it provides more friction? I mean really???
Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CNC
I went with Brad Penn Semi-Syn (http://www.bradpennracing.com/)
20w-50. At half the price.

Randy
Half the price=Half the product
Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...ng-motor-oil/9

Only oil I will use.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I started running Amsoil Full Sysnthetic in My HP500's this year and I am burning less oil and it is holding up better than blends or standard oil ever did. I have already put 60 hours or so on this oil and only changed filters.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
The roller lifter skids across the lobe it does not roll., A bad thing.
that's ridiculous.. you think that somehow the friction in that needle bearing ( assuming it isn't physically broken) at a diameter of about .200 is somehow greater than the rotational load at the surface of the wheel ? or that the mystical " too slippery" oil is only too slippery on the lobe but not in that bearing ?

not in this or any other lifetime.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets just say for the sake of disucssion, that the roller is sliding on the slippery synthetic oil.

If it is sliding on the oil's flim, it is not coming in contact with the lobe of the cam so how can it wear out?

Ken
Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Find me ANYWHERE Amsoil states it provides more friction? I mean really???
Look at Teague's post earlier in this thread. "Some synthetics are just too slippery". How else could Amsoil ensure the rollers roll and not slide if not through increased friction? Provide us with the science behind Teague's claims that only Amsoil Dominator 15W50 will ensure that your roller lifters will roll and not slide.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Half the price=Half the product
Your pullin my leg right?

The analysis is virtually identical to Joe Gibbs

I like Mobil 1 used it for years In every thing from race bikes to offshore boats...never had a lube related failure. M-1 has just become difficult to find in 15w50. Also M-1 today is not the same M-1 of 10 years ago, changes to be epa friendly.....less motor protection.

What brand do you favor?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Look at Teague's post earlier in this thread. "Some synthetics are just too slippery". How else could Amsoil ensure the rollers roll and not slide if not through increased friction? Provide us with the science behind Teague's claims that only Amsoil Dominator 15W50 will ensure that your roller lifters will roll and not slide.
Teague Custom never says "only" AMSOIL Dominator will ensure your roller lifters will roll and not slide.

See this is exactly how wrong information gets out in the public. People like you read something and twist it around to say something basically completely different.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CNC
Your pullin my leg right?

The analysis is virtually identical to Joe Gibbs

I like Mobil 1 used it for years In every thing from race bikes to offshore boats...never had a lube related failure. M-1 has just become difficult to find in 15w50. Also M-1 today is not the same M-1 of 10 years ago, changes to be epa friendly.....less motor protection.

What brand do you favor?
And yes, typically a cheaper product, is exactly that, a cheaper product. They'll start with cheaper base stocks and additives to meet minimum requirements. Personally, I prefer AMSOIL products and my second choice would be Redline or Mobil 1. Do you also know that there is no minimum requirement by the government for "Semi-synthetics"? An oil can be called a "semi-synthetic" or "synthetic blend" even though it may only have less than 1% synthetic properties to it. Basically a cup of coffee with one creamer in it. Now, do you really think that oil is much better than the average petroleum out there. Just like Mobil 1, which is a full synthetic, not 100%, like it used to be 15 years ago or so. It is a highly refined petroleum product with PAO basestocks blended into it. I believe Redline is 100% and I know AMSOIL is 100% synthetic. Like I said, you get what you pay for.

Oh yeah, and what analysis is virtually identical to Joe Gibbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.