Synthetic for an older motor?

Notices

Synthetic for an older motor?

Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Oh yeah, and what analysis is virtually identical to Joe Gibbs?
I couldn't find my info on comparison ...I just had it when I was looking at alternatives for M1. I can post there info (http://www.bradpennracing.com/Zinc.aspx) (http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/tra...101/index.html). None of the engine builders that I know recommend M1.... I don't know why?? That is where I got Brad Penn and Joe Gibbs name, a lot of racers use them. I have used M1 since 1978 after reading an article in Popular Science about its properties and how well it lubricated under extreme cold and hot conditions.
I had always thought of Amsoil as the Amway product of the oil world....no relation though. People were always pushing it at me. I do use Amsoil gear oil in my #5's, seems to work good.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
Your pullin my leg right?
M-1 has just become difficult to find in 15w50.
Every Walmart I've been in recently has had the 15W50 in the five quart size (TX, SC, NC, and VA). The local (NC) Autozone has it in quarts and five quarts. Not sure that would qualify as hard to find.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apollard
Every Walmart I've been in recently has had the 15W50 in the five quart size (TX, SC, NC, and VA). The local (NC) Autozone has it in quarts and five quarts. Not sure that would qualify as hard to find.
Not in Michigan... even took a old jug in to Walmart and had them scan the bar code...no longer on their order guide. Buy all you can.....
Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Teague Custom never says "only" AMSOIL Dominator will ensure your roller lifters will roll and not slide.

See this is exactly how wrong information gets out in the public. People like you read something and twist it around to say something basically completely different.
So, you must not follow Bob Teague's technical column in Powerboat magazine.

Answer the question, Cory. What's the science behind Amsoil's Dominator 15W50 that ensures the rollers roll? This is Teague's justification for only recommending Amsoil as a synthetic for marine engines with roller cams. Here's your chance to protect the public from people like me.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CNC
Not in Michigan... even took a old jug in to Walmart and had them scan the bar code...no longer on their order guide. Buy all you can.....
That isn't good. I have 3 engines running it. Hopefully, our Wally Worlds here will keep stocking.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevesxm
that's ridiculous.. you think that somehow the friction in that needle bearing ( assuming it isn't physically broken) at a diameter of about .200 is somehow greater than the rotational load at the surface of the wheel ? or that the mystical " too slippery" oil is only too slippery on the lobe but not in that bearing ?

not in this or any other lifetime.
The engine builder I talked to uses M-1 15w50 and increases the valve spring pressure to stop lifter skid. They dont build motors for races or poker runs, if the motors they build fail people may DIE so I think that I will believe him over you "IN THIS OR ANY OTHER LIFETIME"
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CNC
I couldn't find my info on comparison ...I just had it when I was looking at alternatives for M1. I can post there info (http://www.bradpennracing.com/Zinc.aspx) (http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/tra...101/index.html). None of the engine builders that I know recommend M1.... I don't know why?? That is where I got Brad Penn and Joe Gibbs name, a lot of racers use them. I have used M1 since 1978 after reading an article in Popular Science about its properties and how well it lubricated under extreme cold and hot conditions.
I had always thought of Amsoil as the Amway product of the oil world....no relation though. People were always pushing it at me. I do use Amsoil gear oil in my #5's, seems to work good.
Amsoil is hardly the amway of lubrication.
More like tied for top spot or holding it in nearly every category its tested in against other oils. They make a great product.

Other guys make good oil as well. In other applications like Sprint cars- lots of those guys run Kendall because of its anti foaming properties. In a 9000 RPM 900HP alcohol burning small block this becomes important.

As for Engine builder recommending oil- Ilmor spec's Mobil-1 0-W40.

They warranty this engine for 24 months - Only if you prove you fed it this oil- which for the cost of the package I happily do.

Very few companies have the "chops" to test at the level ilmor does. How many companies can design an entire engine from scratch specifically to go win a particular series? Ilmor can and has a successful track record of doing it.

Seems weird to me personally not to go with a heavier weight, especially in a 100 % load marine environment- but I can honestly say after living with this engine for 2 seasons good enough for Ilmor- good enough for Uncle Dave.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 07-09-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

I like Amsoil products. I've known about them for years. After meeting Cory's dad at a Sunsation Rally several years ago I decided to become a preferred customer and began using some of Amsoil's products in my trucks, cars, and boats. After a few years I just got tired of always having to order the products so I stopped using them. I am interested in knowing what Amsoil has done with this new Dominator 15W50 that prevents roller lifters from skidding on the cam lobes. I can always be persuaded to change back.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

The RD series product was developed with Teague and his engine manufacturer. After numerous tests, there was no blueing of the cam lobe or lifters, and no signs of skidding. The new RD Dominator Series oils by AMSOIL were therefore developed and tested in marine applications to start with. It is actually a completely different product than the old Series 2000 Racing Oil was. Totally different base stocks, that basically no other company will use due to cost. And since AMSOIL uses the RD base stocks in other products, they are able to market and sell the new oils at a reasonable cost.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
The engine builder I talked to uses M-1 15w50 and increases the valve spring pressure to stop lifter skid. They dont build motors for races or poker runs, if the motors they build fail people may DIE so I think that I will believe him over you "IN THIS OR ANY OTHER LIFETIME"
wow... that's dramatic. imagine that . skidding lifters killing people. oh horror. alert the media.

i have built probably a 1000 roller lifter motors of all shapes and sizes and probably 3 times that many solid lifter, push rod, twin cams, diesels and most everything else in my career. they ran in every race from the 24hrs of daytona to short track nascar and everything in the middle.

i have used every brand of petro oil there is and every brand of synthetic ( except these " house brands" like the joe gibbs sht ) and never... not once have i flattened lobes or ruined rollers due to any sort of oil failure. not once. and if i had to pick an oil to use by brand in ANY motor ( once broken in) it would be the mobile 1 products

the notion that oil in a motor ( assuming it is broken in first) can be " too slippery" is, perhaps , the stupidest thing that has ever been written here. there are no force balances in play in that mechanical system that would suggest that a properly assembled motor using the correct parts will somehow sieze the needle bearing due to too LITTLE friction before the roller skids on the lobe. people may have had those sort of failures for one reason or another but it is always going to be traced back to excessive spring load , cheap compnents or some other sort of assignable mechanical error. too little friction is never going to be the cause. never.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.