Help me  start this 502! >

Help me start this 502!

Notices

Help me start this 502!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me start this 502!

Pulled my boat out of storage after winterizing. Got it started fairly easily and let motor run for a couple minutes. I noticed one of the muffs had cracked over the winter. I brought the boat in and they were able to repair fiberglass. They test ran to check for leaks. I get my boat back and decide to go for a ride. Bring it to access, start the boat and it dies. Pump the throttle(carb'd 502), starts and dies pump the throttle more. nothing wont fire. I figure i must have flooded it. i have never not been able to start my boat although sometimes it is difficult. Brought the boat home let it sit for a while and nothing.. Let it sit for a couple days, and tried to start. i could hear it fire almost instantly and then die. Turned it over more and nothing. Pump up the throttle, nothing but i smell fuel. let it sit for a few more days repeat process same results. I decided to change plugs they looked black and fouled some were wet. got some starting fluid. Tried with new plugs nothing, used starter fluid nothing. let boat sit for a few days. Go to start, fires almost instantly and dies. Ii crank it some more almost starts, but doesnt and then nothing. I pump the throttle smell fuel im getting nothing and give up again.. What is going on here? Is each cylinder flooded with fuel from weeks ago? Please help i dont want to bring to shop and let sit for weeks
Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you check to see if the carb is flooding? Have you checked to see if you have ignition?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by cass236
Pulled my boat out of storage after winterizing. Got it started fairly easily and let motor run for a couple minutes. I noticed one of the muffs had cracked over the winter. I brought the boat in and they were able to repair fiberglass. They test ran to check for leaks. I get my boat back and decide to go for a ride. Bring it to access, start the boat and it dies. Pump the throttle(carb'd 502), starts and dies pump the throttle more. nothing wont fire. I figure i must have flooded it. i have never not been able to start my boat although sometimes it is difficult. Brought the boat home let it sit for a while and nothing.. Let it sit for a couple days, and tried to start. i could hear it fire almost instantly and then die. Turned it over more and nothing. Pump up the throttle, nothing but i smell fuel. let it sit for a few more days repeat process same results. I decided to change plugs they looked black and fouled some were wet. got some starting fluid. Tried with new plugs nothing, used starter fluid nothing. let boat sit for a few days. Go to start, fires almost instantly and dies. Ii crank it some more almost starts, but doesnt and then nothing. I pump the throttle smell fuel im getting nothing and give up again.. What is going on here? Is each cylinder flooded with fuel from weeks ago? Please help i dont want to bring to shop and let sit for weeks
check coil wire for corrosion,, if all looks good suspect the hall effect pick in the distributor if theirs no spark..

Last edited by FIXX; 05-28-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered

Check for spark . Could be a bad coil, or ignition module. Go to the parts store and get a spark tester, or, grit your teeth together and hold a spark plug to ground while turning the engine over . Do this after you've hit it a couple of times like you describe
Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

engine off ,,,looks down the carb,,,while someone movers the throttles back and forth,,,you should see a stream of gas every time they move the throttles,,,might be your accelerator pump,,,
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Starts and dies indicates that you are getting spark. Sounds like a fuel problem.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

With some gas in the carb bowls the accelerator pumps will squirt and let the engine start. If the fuel pump is not working or not working well you won't get enough fuel to keep the motor running. Can you check for fuel pressure while cranking the motor over?? Installing a temporary gauge from an auto parts store to verify the fuel pressure will help diagnose a fuel issue.

If you have fuel pressure and are fouling plugs maybe a needle and seat stuck open?? If someone turns over the motor while you are cautiously looking at the carb with the flame arrestor off you will see fuel coming out the horns if a needle and seat are stuck.

Make sure the choke is not stuck also.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Or turn the motor over for 15-20 sec and then take the plugs out of the bowls and check for fuel. The fuel should be right at the bottom of the hole for the plug. Or pump the accelerator pump several times. If the pumps don't squirt fuel after a couple of pumps you are not getting enough fuel to keep the bowls full i.e. bad fuel pump, clogged filter. Don't forget there may be filters in the carb where the fuel line enters the carb.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I say let it sit for a couple more days then try again.........

Just kidding, It sounded like a fuel delivery problem until you said you hit it with some starting fluid and nothing still. Check for spark at the plugs. If you have a spark tester use that. And run the bilge blower for at least 4-5 minutes before you test for spark!!! If no spark then pull the cap and inspect along with all other connections.

Then check the kill switch
Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Registered

Tried with new plugs nothing, used starter fluid nothing. let boat sit for a few days. Go to start, fires almost instantly and dies. Ii crank it some more almost starts, but doesnt and then nothing. I pump the throttle smell fuel im getting nothing and give up again..
If you can smell fuel , fuel delivery isnt a problem. check for spark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.