rooster tail >

rooster tail

Notices

rooster tail

Old 06-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

OK, getting back to the OP's question, a big rooster tail might - and might not - be a bad thing. You can generally throw a pretty big rooster just by over trimming a boat. That would be very inefficient - and tough on the u-joints too.

You can also throw a big rooster tail in a boat where the prop shaft is closer to the surface of the water. (That's that "x-dimension" thing they're talking about.) Generally speaking, raising the propshaft height relative to the planing bottom reduces drag on the gearcase and thus increases speed. You also get a free rooster tail. In my experience though, unless your drive is mounted really low or you're going over about 75 MPH, raising the drive up doesn't do much.

How do I know all this? I run an outboard and have for years. I also run mine with a jack plate - which allows me to alter my x-dimension at will. I currently run my Diamond Marine modified Mercury 200 well up the jack plate / transom. My hole shot stinks, but top end is quite nice and a huge rooster - even at zero trim - comes with it for free.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by money455
does anyone know what prop slip #'s are when you have a giant rooster tail
My slip#'s are 14% give or take w/ KAAMA drives. (Rick wont send me a set of his for free either.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Registered

okay i know that i am the "little guy" but i need to know what makes a boat rooster tail cause some day i need that . heres the thing was running the boat on the lake and came across a 30 to 33 foot something was not a cig ,fountain or anything common but had twin engines and yes he walked me but this was not a 100 mph boat he was low seventies tops , but had a giant rooster tail . i understand that trim is what makes the rooster tail but i can trim all i want and never get a rooster tail . is it a twin engine thing or is it a hull thing also i understand that certain props ride higher in the water which i would think would cause a rooster tail . lastly in the future i need a 35 lightning with twin 600's or 525's would this boat"rooster" .

p.s. yes i am a dork
Just a thoughtg before you realize you DONT want a huge roost after you find out the cost of one. Put the $$$$ into your motor and set up and wax the S#&T out of the 30 footer and he will be wanting what you have.
Do you want to finish first, or look like you could have???
Old 06-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kneeslider74
My slip#'s are 14% give or take w/ KAAMA drives. (Rick wont send me a set of his for free either.
I told you, here is is all you will need
Attached Thumbnails rooster tail-rc-boat-drive.jpg  
Old 06-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone know what prop slip #'s are when you have a giant rooster tail
4% when there dialed in BIG Daddy
Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I've got a 35 at the shop right now with a pair of 1050's and shorty XR's with six blades. It throws a roost and drives at the same time.. We'll see how it does with SCX's.

Here's a 36 supercat with #6's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao3v9MXwEHo
Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
I told you, here is is all you will need
Now I need a SHAM WOW to wipe the DRooooL from my laptop!!!
They cost more than I have into my boat, ,,,,,,,,,, Wish I had a better boat. HAHAHAHAHA It is a Skate Nation!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kneeslider74
Now I need a SHAM WOW to wipe the DRooooL from my laptop!!!
They cost more than I have into my boat, ,,,,,,,,,, Wish I had a better boat. HAHAHAHAHA It is a Skate Nation!
Look a little closer at the photo. Those are for a "Model Boat"
Old 07-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered

Pretty tough to tell with just a glance, nice one! I would love to have a pair of arn's for sure. Think I will wait till I get a new boat. I have mine for sale now think I need somthing a bit bigger for Lake Superior than a 30 footer. Might go with a vee but it will have to be nice, really nice. I can only imagine that the new technology offerd by you is the way to go, as the old Kaama I run seems to do quite well and is old and heavy. Had my first scare last weekend Lost a fuel pump in a hard turn @wot. a little like an 8000 lb pinball! Made it out fine and repaired it to go on sunday agian. Oh yea it was a huge rooster when the other sponson planted.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

by using -2 shorty drive is there any performance gain on my boat other than a rooster tail , also does help or hurt the overall performance of the boat just looking for pros and cons .
I raised my drive over 2", gained 10 MPH

Plate was below the boat, and plowing through the water, now plate does not touch at speed.

HUGE improvement, no downside, great rooster tail as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.