Cut filter, have questions >

Cut filter, have questions

Notices

Cut filter, have questions

Old 06-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut filter, have questions

Motor has about 8-10 hours on it, First oil change. I cut the filter open, I dont have one of the filter tools, so I used a cutoff wheel along the very top of the filter. I cut above the actual element, I know some metal may be from where I cut the can open, but there is some small flakes in the filter pleats that did not come from cutting it. They are thinner then paper, grey on one side and maybe a little metallic on the other. they do stick to a magnet. The magnetic drain plug had nothing other then a very small amount of graphite fine stuff I would expect to see. There is some very fine metallic stuff imbedded in the pleats too, but not very much. I dont even think any of this will show up in a picture, The motor and the oil cooler are both replaced at same time. Any thoughts.

The oil pressure is about 65psi at a cold idle, after a hard run it will drop to about 30psi at about 700rpm, after a short idle and cool down it will be at 60 again. Running hard it is pushing 75psi.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

Without actually seeing it, I'd say it sounds about normal.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cubicinches
Without actually seeing it, I'd say it sounds about normal.
I agree. I chiseled my sb engines filter open a week or two ago with 1-2hrs on freshen. It had a small amount of matter, about like you describe. Oil pressure is like yours too. I have since done a poker run with a lot of WOT and all is good.

BTW, a hammer and chisel leave no metal dust to trip you up when cutting open a filter.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Registered

I will give the hammer and chisel a try.
But the metal in the filter pleats is not from cutting open the filter can, you can tell the stuff down in the pleats looks different then the metal from the canister. It does not seem like a excessive amount, but a little more then I expected. There is not enough to show up in a picture, and the bigger pieces that are there are so thin that you cant even feel them in you finger tips, but they do stick to a magnet.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered

Not unusual. No process removes 100% of the metal particles generated during machining; probably most of yours is from that. The engine wears some off as it breaks in also.