Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HYD. Steering >

HYD. Steering

Notices

HYD. Steering

Old 04-30-2002, 01:51 PM
strapman

Default HYD. Steering

I need to change over to hyd. steering. anyone know how hard this would this be? where to buy parts? I have a bravo one, running in the high 80's.

Old 04-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A medium competent wrench can handle this. I purchased my Charlyn helm from a local Hydraulic supply house. Had the hoses made up locally also after carefully measuring the boat & hose routes. Don't forget to take into account the location of your new hydraulic filter. The helm is about $300.00, the hoses will cost you more than that. You can purchase the steering cylinders from Marine Machine direct or thru IMCO, C-P Performance, etc.....external hoses need to be stainless braided & stainless thru hull fittings. the rest inside can be brass or ? I converted an add-on system this winter to full hydraulic. It was a considerable change to get used too in operation.
If your pump is lower than the helm, you may need a reservoir & a sealed pump cap to keep from losing fluid. I was lucky & did not need it. Good luck with the project!
Old 04-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

strapman
What kind of boat? Single or twins? do you want full hydraulic from the helm or just on the drive? There are plenty of places around you that can handle the conversion for you. TAL Marine, Garrison, etc. If you want to do the job yourself, it's not that difficult. The hardest part will be making the hoses. E-mail me your number if you want to talk. I'm leaving this Thurs. for Jacksonville, so I won't be here this weekend. You can get the systems from Lathem, Marine Machine, WPM, or call Brett May @ Kieth Eikert's.
Robert
Old 04-30-2002, 05:11 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IMCO system is actually pretty easy to install. Their hose ends don't require any special tools to assemble. They are simular to the AN type fittings.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recomed the WPM system. I installed it on my Fountain and it was not very difficult. Install the helm unit and the ram measure the hoses, I had them the next day and that was about it. I had 2 questions which they answered promptly.

Wasn't a difficult hob, if you are at all handy with a wrench and not afraid to drill holes in your boat. I like WPM because the connection to the ram is through the bracket for the outside hoses so it's 4 holes to moun the whole thing.