Average build time for engine? >

Average build time for engine?

Notices

Average build time for engine?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Don't worry about Steve, he spends too much time talking to his dog and probably doesn't have enough interaction with humans.. He was trying his best to give you good advice.
As far as build time, bolting it together is the least time consuming part. If you trust your machinist enough to not check any of the clearances... and the pistons are on the rods already then it should take two to three hours to bolt the short together. But there are a number of little things that can still bite you and I see them all the time. Pre-gapped rings are sometimes too tight, an improperly installed spiro lock can destroy your engine, piston rings not installed properly can cause problems, using the wrong ring compressor can cause the rings to break, the wrong style/quality of torque wrench can vary greatly on stuff like rod bolts, etc.. etc..
If you are going to do it, make sure everything is as clean as possible, get a paint marker to keep track of everything that has been final torqued, check your work, and go slow. Feel free to give me a call if you want help on the valve train geo. I can probably explain it easier the it is written. Good luck, Alex
604 315 0570
There is a lot of truth in this post. My engine builder had my ring gap too tight and it broke all 8 pistons, I didnt even know it, it didnt knock or anything, but it had tremendous blow by. When I took it apart, all 8 pistons came out in pieces.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes! I had Dave build the short block and I'm going to finish the top half.... I picked up the engine today, now it's time for me to get to work.

For the record it was 8 hours to install the crank, hang the pistons on the rods, install pistons, install and degree cam. No clearancing needed the engine is a destroked 454.

Last edited by endeavour32; 07-09-2010 at 10:02 PM.