trim limit help please

Notices

trim limit help please

Old 07-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim limit help please

Alpha 1 gen 1

Is there any way to take advantage of the trim limit sender with only a up down switch? I guess the switch I have would be considered a " momentary" type switch, where it remains in the center and can be pressed up or down to complete either of two cercuits. It is about an inch wide and an inch and a quarter tall. ( rocker type of thing) I have looked at the wiring diagram for the stock three button switch, which has the additional switch for trailering ( which I dont have) for getting the drive fullly out. I would like to add an additional switch but I would be at a loss as to how to wire it. Can someone please give me a diagram or explain how it would work with a seperate trailer switch. For example I could add a simple push button switch right next to the up down one I currently have Without re-doing the whole dash pannel. Part of the problem is when I look at the factory diagram i have trouble understanding how it works. I remember, from other boats I have used, to trailer you need to hold two buttons at once. so that is where I get confused when looking at the diagram.

I priced out the factory three button switch and they want huge money for it but more importantly, it would require big mods to the dash board to make it fit. As it is right now I can raise or lower the drive with no limit at all. I just installed a new trimlimit sender and I am sure the old one was by-passed by the previous owner. so I have the new wires sitting in the engine bay waiting to be hooked to somthing.

By the way, as it is now, will the outdrive just keep going up or down without any limit at all? I havent tried as I dont want to break anything. Does the pump have built in limits? I appoligise for the length of this post just trying to give as much detail as I can.

Thanks.

Last edited by toolsinbox; 07-05-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First off you should have a limit switch as it keeps the flat pads on the drive from coming out of the guides on the gimble ring while running. Notice you have 2 solenoids on the trim pump. One has a blue wires going to it which is the up. The other has green wires which is down. They both have a red hot wire. In order to use the switch you have on the dash you will need to cut the small blue wire at the pump ( it is coming from your dash board switch) and wire your new limit switch wires to each of the cut ends.Now your limit switch is wired in. You will need to adjust it. Notice the limit switch is mounted by screw in slots. With the screws a little loose have some one hold the up switch on and turn the limit switch as needed to make it shut off right before the pads on the drive come out of the guides on the gimble ring. If you can't get it adjusted you may have to pull the switch off the gimble ring turn the hex drive on the switch some and put it back on to get you in range for adjusting right beings you can only adjust so far with the slots.
Now for trailering you will need to run a wire from the terminal on the up solenoid that has the small blue wire connected to it up to a new momentary on-off switch on the dash.Connect a hot wire to the switch and you will now have a switch for trailering which will be bypassing the limit switch.

Drive will go up and down with no limits now. The only thing that could hurt is if you raise it to high while underway.That is what the limit switch controls. As far as full up or full down ther is no control. When you hear the pump start to bog down you stop. There it no limits built into the pump.

Last edited by picklenjim; 07-05-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a perfect explanation. Exactly what i needed.

Thanks.