Volvo Duoprop to Bravo 3 Question

Notices

Volvo Duoprop to Bravo 3 Question

Old 07-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Duoprop to Bravo 3 Question

Howdy!

What do I need to convert my flywheel/housing to accept a Bravo 3? This is a 454.

Pic 1 is what I have.

I know I need the merc coupler. What about the housing? I don't see that listed anywhere? Or does it come with the merc coupler?

example:

Thanks for your help!

Andrew

Last edited by radon27; 07-14-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are going to need the merc bellhousing as well as the coupler, a lot of the bolt ons are diff as well, may be able to make them work, what about parts off old engine ?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
you are going to need the merc bellhousing as well as the coupler, a lot of the bolt ons are diff as well, may be able to make them work, what about parts off old engine ?
Thanks, that is what I thought. I just don't know why I can't find that bellhousing online..

Basically I'm just going to put a bravo three on a working 454. Just have not found the bellhousing yet. Maybe merc calls it something else? Searches come up with zilch so far.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

ok are you changing your volvo set up to a bravo 3 ? ok i have a mint bell housing from a BB you will also need a coupler..pic one is for a volvo,,whats wrong with the volvo set up? that would be as strong as a bravo 3 if not stronger and lighter..going from a volvo to a mercruiser transom housing you will need to do some major glass work to the reansom on the boat because the cut out on a volvo is way bigger then the mercruiser cut out..

Last edited by FIXX; 07-15-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
ok are you changing your volvo set up to a bravo 3 ? ok i have a mint bell housing from a BB you will also need a coupler..pic one is for a volvo,,whats wrong with the volvo set up? that would be as strong as a bravo 3 if not stronger and lighter..going from a volvo to a mercruiser transom housing you will need to do some major glass work to the reansom on the boat because the cut out on a volvo is way bigger then the mercruiser cut out..

My duoprops are from 1994 and parts are just so expensive. I just want to throw a new drive on there and be done with it. I'm going from twin 454s to a single. Yeah, full transom glass work, stringers etc...

Yeah, I'm the reverse of most here

I want less HP/weight and better fuel economy. And get this..... I only want to go 25 knts!

I fish/Scuba off the Channel Islands near Los Angeles... 20-25 knts is about our average cruise in the average conditions.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like to me you would be better off selling and buying a single bravo boat ?