Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Sound like vapor lock / water in tank / fuel pump?? - 6.2 MPI - Help... >

Sound like vapor lock / water in tank / fuel pump?? - 6.2 MPI - Help...

Notices

Sound like vapor lock / water in tank / fuel pump?? - 6.2 MPI - Help...

Old 08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUMP For more help.

I still haven't replaced the high pressure pump yet, but on my last run of the week I was able to make the issue come back. Fuel pressure dropped and the high pressure pump started making strange noises again (like it was sucking air). I quickly killed the engine and pulled the separator. Normally a truckle of gas comes out when I do this, instead the fuel level was at least an inch from the top of the filter. Does this sound like it could be the booster pump now? Maybe it just isn't delivering enough gas to the high pressure pump?

I just can figure out how you would test the boost pump since there isn't a schrader valve near it to hook up to.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You can pull the boost pump off and apart to check the diaphragm and mechanicals. If you have not changed the oil in it you should anyways and it would be a great time to do it.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This motor has a small cylinder shaped electrical pump located by the separator. It doesn't appear to be serviceable, but I'll take a closer look.