78 excalibur 454 >

78 excalibur 454

Notices

78 excalibur 454

Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 excalibur 454

Platinum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The boat is perfect . A looker for sure

Bought a 24ftr with a 454 330 drive. I know nothing about gm motors or the drive. It says 330. The boat has 522hrs and the previous owner had boat more than 22 years. Boat looks good enough for people to think its newer than it is.

So, put about 5hrs on boat when she started to over heat. Had boat up to 60mph, little scary with those trim tabs. Please correct me if im wrong.Heard it is the impeller but pulled thermostat out to check. It works. Bought new 1 anyways. Water inlet on bottom of boat, looks like goes to a water pump on block? Is this a big job? Cant find any info tag by transmission to identify motor. with the year an model of boat, is there anywhere I can get repair manual and any info on Boat? Any help would be great. Wife not happy I buy boat an cant run it.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

You need to change the impeller, might as well get a whole water pump rebuild kit while your at it.

Yes, water inlet goes to a water pump on the block. Impeller is inside the pump casing. Make sure and use some grease or something to lube up the new impeller or you will eat up the new impeller. Make sure you the hoses go back on the same way. Its not a big deal, but if your uncomfortable any local shop can do the job for around $200. This is a normal maintenance item. Plan on replacing atleast every 2 years, most on here do it every year.

Sine the old impeller has been eaten up the pieces are likely stuck in your coolers, or block. Backfulsh all the coolers.