Mercury 700 Oil >

Mercury 700 Oil

Notices

Mercury 700 Oil

Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury 700 Oil

Just wondering what folks are ruuning for oil in the 700 set up. Book calls for Kendall 20W-50. What are you using? Thanks,
Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mykalvballer
Just wondering what folks are ruuning for oil in the 700 set up. Book calls for Kendall 20W-50. What are you using? Thanks,
My best recommendation would be the AMSOIL Dominator 15w-50 Racing Oil.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
My best recommendation would be the AMSOIL Dominator 15w-50 Racing Oil.
Other than the obvious slight difference in visc weights (low and high) how much better is it than the regular ARO - 20/50?

I have not been able to find an answer on whether or not the Dominator is supposed to be pulled after hard runs etc...

The tech line said the reg 20/50 ARO has an API rating etc but Dominator does not. Most guys already know that cause it's not on the bottle...

They made it sound as if the Dominator was made to break down quickly in order to sacrifice itself to provide the best engine protection but it should not be used long term like an average oil change.

This kinda sounds like a load of pooh to me so maybe you know the difference.

The website does a crappy job of explaining the differences between the race product and the regular product. The tech support guys have never really given me any answers to my questions that sounded like they knew what they were talking about. Frustrating when you're spending money on it.

I suppose I could take responsibility for not knowing enough about oil but they need to tell a tale of "what it means to me" for Dominator vs. anything else they offer.

Sorry for the rant and high-jack.

And I still have about 16 quarts of the Series 2000 20/50 laying around.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1 V-Twin
or
Amsoil

Chris
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
Other than the obvious slight difference in visc weights (low and high) how much better is it than the regular ARO - 20/50?

I have not been able to find an answer on whether or not the Dominator is supposed to be pulled after hard runs etc...

The tech line said the reg 20/50 ARO has an API rating etc but Dominator does not. Most guys already know that cause it's not on the bottle...

They made it sound as if the Dominator was made to break down quickly in order to sacrifice itself to provide the best engine protection but it should not be used long term like an average oil change.

This kinda sounds like a load of pooh to me so maybe you know the difference.

The website does a crappy job of explaining the differences between the race product and the regular product. The tech support guys have never really given me any answers to my questions that sounded like they knew what they were talking about. Frustrating when you're spending money on it.

I suppose I could take responsibility for not knowing enough about oil but they need to tell a tale of "what it means to me" for Dominator vs. anything else they offer.

Sorry for the rant and high-jack.

And I still have about 16 quarts of the Series 2000 20/50 laying around.
The ARO, I believe, has a bit more Zinc in it. But put it this way, I ran the Dominator 15w-50 Racing Oil over 60hrs last year, and it was still good to go according to my oil analysis. The new 15w-50 was specifically designed with Bob Teague with Marine Applications in mind, specifically roller cams, such as on the 525s. The Series 2000 is a great product and I would use that till its gone, but when it is, I would go with Dominator Racing Oil. Hope this helps.