Merc vapor lock kit?? >

Merc vapor lock kit??

Notices

Merc vapor lock kit??

Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Merc vapor lock kit??

Ive got a 1994 454 Mag EFI (complete with a VST tank!!) that is really having some issues with vapor lock anytime the temperature tops 90 degrees....

I did a search online and see a reference to a mercury vapor lock kit and was curious if anyone has the bulliten # or a part #?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

That kit is not for the VST systems. It is for the later Cool Fuel systems. Your problem is most likely in your VST tank. The screen filters are probably plugged up.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the part number for that kit I have a 1999 7.4 that vapor locks all the time when it is 90 or above.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
That kit is not for the VST systems. It is for the later Cool Fuel systems. Your problem is most likely in your VST tank. The screen filters are probably plugged up.
Griff--In order to clean the screens what needs to be done? Just take the VST apart, clean and put back together? Do I replace the screen? Is this something a novice can do? Ive got a hot weekend coming up and want to get this handled.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I have never actually taken one apart. From the way it was explained to me, it was pretty straight forward. Just take it apart and clean the filter screens.

I had a friend that was having issues with his VST and vapor locking. He ran a bunch of Sea Foam in a tank of fuel and the issue went away. I think he used at twice the recommended amount of Sea Foam and treated about 150gallons of fuel. That was early this Summer and he has not had any vaporlocking since.

BTW, ethanol fuel will vaporlock much easier.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a good possibility you are vapor locking in the mechanical fuel pump. Next time it happens grab some water from the cooler and pour it on the bowl of the mechanical fuel pump. It will have to crank a bit to refill the VST. If that helps mount a small piece of plastic between the fuel pump and the motor to shield it from the exhaust heat. That is all the vapor lock kit consisted of as far as I can tell.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The vapor lock kit is an electric boost pump kit.

for a brief period, merc eliminated the mechanical pump on the sea pump.

Those are the ones this kit is designed for
Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess the one I saw is an "early attempt". It is just a piece of phenolic between the pump and the exhaust manifold. It was all finished nice and looked like a Merc part, but I've never seen it on a parts diagram.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vapor Locking Kit p.n. 862264A4 is what is used to solve the problem. This is what I used with the VST tank. I tried cleaning screen with no luck. Best way to tell is the next time it happens pull off Water Separator filter is it is not full you are vapor locking.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I have never actually taken one apart. From the way it was explained to me, it was pretty straight forward. Just take it apart and clean the filter screens.

I had a friend that was having issues with his VST and vapor locking. He ran a bunch of Sea Foam in a tank of fuel and the issue went away. I think he used at twice the recommended amount of Sea Foam and treated about 150gallons of fuel. That was early this Summer and he has not had any vaporlocking since.

BTW, ethanol fuel will vaporlock much easier.
I couldnt find any seafoam but spent $22 on the synthetic Mercruiser fuel system cleaner. I was boating all weekend long in 95 degree heat and didnt have one issue. I did run the blower anytime the engine was on...Hopefully my problem is solved!
Thanks guys for all your help!