Sucking up sand >

Sucking up sand

Notices

Sucking up sand

Old 05-05-2002, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sucking up sand

What's the worst that can happen from sucking up enough sand to plug the sea strainer to the top?

that's the last time i head to the sand bar.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:45 PM
Registered

If sea strainer is full of sand then so is motor. I would clean out strainer. Put Motor on hose & run for little bit until water comes out exhaust. Open water drains in side of block for a little bit then close. Do this until you have no sand coming out of block. You may have done some damage to the impellor in the water pump. I would replace it now. Easier to do now then wait for it to fail when you are planing on a day on the water.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:10 PM
Registered

i need to keep about 20 impellers in stock. i'll get one now and keep that as a safety spare.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd lay on a "Is that why they call you Dredgeking?" crack, but it doesnt sound like you're in the mood for that right now..........
Old 05-06-2002, 07:14 AM
Registered

I have pulled thermostats out thinking they were bad....they had little stones lodged in it, not allowing it to close. Changed the stat anyway....
Old 05-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Registered

i was definitely the dredgeking this weekend. mercruiser makes a hell of a dredge pump. a lot cheaper than the custom pumps we build. i wonder if merc makes pumps 20" and larger.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

If your motor has a fresh water flush atttachment check that out it might also get stuck in the closed position. Its a tee with a check spring in it.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:24 AM
29Fever

You must have one of those stupid HP Bravo drives with the low water pickups. Not the best for shallow water! I would back flush everything and like you said...stock up on impellors.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:42 AM
Registered

the worst part is i had my surveyor with me to keep me out of the shallow spots. hmmmmm. may have to re-evaluate his pay this week

the fresh water flush helped back flush the outdrive. took apart the hoses going into and out of the pump and flushed those. had it running and flowing water last night. need to check/ replace impeller and maybe check a few more hoses to back flush.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:29 PM
Registered

Make sure you either open up or remove plugs down low on sides of block. The sand will sit there & will not flush out with normal flushing.

Quick Reply: Sucking up sand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.