offshore engine mounts

Notices

offshore engine mounts

Old 05-05-2002, 11:06 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default offshore engine mounts

what is the proper method for installing offshore sytle mounts? I know eth bracket that bolts to the engein bolts to L backets through bolted to the stringers. Sop how do you proerly aling the mounts? I know withe normal mounts you can adjust the height of the rear mounts to adjust eth overal coupler alignment in case the mounts aren;t exact. How would you do this on the offshore style mounts?
Old 05-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Registered

I do not know if my method is correct, but it seemed to work. I used a chain hoist to position the engine so that the alignment tool fit in the coupler properly, then I clamped the L angles to the offshore mount. I drilled one hole on each side, bolted them together, rechecked alignment, then drilled and bolted the rest of the holes.

Dave
Old 05-07-2002, 11:07 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

that is whjat i figured but though that perhaps that it still might not be exact enough and the engine might need further alignment adjustment .
Old 05-08-2002, 08:21 AM
Scott72

I will be putting my motor in this coming weekend and have the same concerns as Puder. I was told that once the engine is bolted in the rear but still hanging from the hoist, mount the L brackets to the stringer first, then to the offshore mount. I was told the the engine may settle up to 1/8 of an inch and to keep that in mind when aligning it. One mechanic said that once he gets it aligned (but before he drill/mounts the L's to the offshore mount), he raises that back of the motor 1/8 inch, then drill holes. The whole thing kinda sounds like witch science, but I'll let you know how it comes out after this weekend...

Old 05-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Registered

I put a bottle jack on my balancer and put the long bolts in the rear mount with the offshore mount bolted to my motor. Then with the drive off I checked my alignment with the alignment tool and kept adjusting the bottle jack till I got it right. Marked the angle brackets on to the stringers, drilled and thru bolted them in to place, then drilled to L brackets thru the bolt holes in the mounts as a guide with a 1/8 drill bit. Then stepped up to the 7/16 drill for my bolts when I was sure I had them centered.