a/c opinions dometic or mermaid >

a/c opinions dometic or mermaid

Notices

a/c opinions dometic or mermaid

Old 08-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default a/c opinions dometic or mermaid

I'm going to replace the a/c unit in the boat and would like to hear some opinions on 2 different brands. I'm looking at either a dometic or memaid and would like to hear about which is the quietest, which cools the best and any other tid bits you can share.

By the way I'm looking at the 6,500 btu reverse cycle.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

I have the 6500 R/C Mermaid in my Fountain. Works like a charm. Nice and compact.

Also have a 10k R/C Airrr (I think it's a Dometic)??? In the cruiser. Also no complaints as far as runnig.

I don't notice one being any quieter than the other. I do prefer the Mermaid over my other one as it has a S/S catch tray. The Aiir is just painted and is rusty. Not sure what they were thinking here
Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not meaning to highjack this thread, but anyone have experience with 12 vdc units? I was thinking of using a 3kw genset, inverter to top the batteries off, and the battery pack would handle a/c transients. Otherwise a bigger gen set is needed to handle ac voltage transients (5 or 6 kw)...thoughts?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can run a 5000 mermaid on a eu1000 honda gen, or use a larger invertor to run up to a 9000 with the right batteries, I looked into the 12 volt ones, manufacture says they work but I had some questions as takes quite a bit to start compressors that do the job...just wonder if a 12 volt can do the job..by the way no body matches the 5 year warranty of the mermaid units...
Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

My 6500 can run off a Honda 1000. The 10k unit in my cruiser works with the Honda 2000. A buddy has a 12.5 unit and the 2000 won't run it.

I don't think you could run either in the R/C mode though as I have been told that takes a little more draw.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats good to know....but I can tell you, I had 2 customers that bought 2 5000 units one for a 27 formula the other for a 30 chaparel they both went out and bought 1000 yamaha gens as they found those cheaper, neither would run the a/c's. they called me asked what was up..talked to manufacture they assured me a honda would work..they took the yamaha's back got honda's..worked fine..so not all 1000 gens are created equall....
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We do a lot of RV claims and I can say the Dometic product blows, I would recommend anything over them. I know the marine unit os different from the RV, but general build quality carries over.