OMC King Cobra nose cones >

OMC King Cobra nose cones

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default OMC King Cobra nose cones

Posted this in the drive section last month w/ no results so I thought I'd try it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read an old post where a guy saw speed improvements on the KC drive @ lower speeds. My boat is slow compared to most boats on this forum but hopefull a nose cone may give me the same results. Anyone else see the same results below?

"I have talked to hydromotive about nose cones on my bravo 1 and they have told me twice that i will gain nothing on a bravo 1 unless you are going over 80mph. I did put one on my king cobra and it picked up about 2-3mph and i was only running 55 stock so go figure"
Old 08-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 23 Scorpion with a Cobra drive which is shaped like Your King cobra, I gained about 2 mph with a nose cone. If you look at the shape of the lower it is kind of blunt in the front. I think I just gained a litle more from the better flow back to the prop. JMO
Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a volvo penta sx. I believe the drives are similar? Would I see performance gains even though it only runs 55mph?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also if you do decide to install them the lower housing is the same as the V8 outboard.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Itsallgood995
Posted this in the drive section last month w/ no results so I thought I'd try it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read an old post where a guy saw speed improvements on the KC drive @ lower speeds. My boat is slow compared to most boats on this forum but hopefull a nose cone may give me the same results. Anyone else see the same results below?

"I have talked to hydromotive about nose cones on my bravo 1 and they have told me twice that i will gain nothing on a bravo 1 unless you are going over 80mph. I did put one on my king cobra and it picked up about 2-3mph and i was only running 55 stock so go figure"
Did you ever go through with this, and what did you find?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Registered

Never did, ended up converting over to a bravo set up.

Wish I would have tried it first, it seems worthwhile.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Banned

Never did, ended up converting over to a bravo set up.

Wish I would have tried it first, it seems worthwhile.
I in the middle of the same dilemma, how long to keep the King Cobra...I was thinking about converting to Bravo 1 at the end of this season...

Were you able to find the nose cones somewhere, and what were the prices?

EDIT:
Just ordered this http://www.hydromotive.com/nosecones.html -- it'c completely unclear from the website but the MC HC1 B fits the 1990 and later King Cobra, the lady said at 60-65 mph a 2-3 mph gain would be pretty typical with this drive, if that's true it will be the cheapest 2 mph I ever paid for. Hell if it gets me 1 mph I'll still be ecstatic....

Last edited by brivander; 06-02-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered

Cool, the Hydromotive was the one I was considering also.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Cool, the Hydromotive was the one I was considering also.

Let us know how it works out.
Fits horribly, it fits like a glove on pre-1990 Bravo 1 (did some test fits on baots in the rack at my marina. I called and they siad it takes more work but I can use it on the post-89 King Cobra (Cone Clutch Style), but it's really not even close...Any other ideas? I really want to do this, even if nothing more to protect my drive, with all the rain this spring there is a TON of crap in the water this year....

Last edited by brivander; 06-14-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
Also if you do decide to install them the lower housing is the same as the V8 outboard.
Which units are compatible with the outboards?, the pre-90 King Cobra or the 90-later King Cobra, they are pretty different....

http://www.allamericandriveservice.com/OMCCobra.html

Last edited by brivander; 06-14-2011 at 09:52 AM.