Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Side Mount Whipple Chargers? >

Side Mount Whipple Chargers?

Notices

Side Mount Whipple Chargers?

Old 08-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Side Mount Whipple Chargers?

I am consider buying a boat with early 1st or 2nd generation side mount whipple chargers , it ihas 502 mpi 415 hp engines.Dustin Whipple tells me that the blowers are due for a rebuild they have about 330 hrs on them. The rebuilds will cost $900 or $ 2400 depending on which unit it is. I could refresh the blowers and engines and still be in good shape price wise on the boat. I am aware that there may be drive issues with the bravo 1 drives on the boat , beacause of there 500 hp. limit .I have had a 540 single with a bravo 1 for 7 years with out any problems , i take off easy and seldom turn the motor past 3500 rpm. If i buy the boat i will change the pulley size to limit the hp gain to around a 100 hp to take easier on the bravo 1s. My main questions are has any one had long term experiance with these side mount whipples. Are there many electrical or performace issues with these units and the blowers mechanicly dependable if you dont run the hell out them all the time.It is my understanding that they use a piggy back plug ECM module. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that exact setup in my boat. Somewhere around 250 hrs. in the last 7 seasons with exactly zero problems with engine or supercharger. It seems pretty bulletproof to me.