454 Mercruiser budget build help >

454 Mercruiser budget build help

Notices

454 Mercruiser budget build help

Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 Mercruiser budget build help

The senerio - Picked up a 1995 Outlaw 24 w/454 with 300hrs a month ago and ready to put away for the winter. I would like to do some performance mods to top end over the winter (Intake, carb, cam and heads if required).

My thinking is this would satisfy me for next season without an entire rebuild cost and spread the spending out over time and I can watch for a oppertunities on parts through the next season.

My goal for next summer is a solid 65, seeing 58 now. Is that realistic with top end mods?

Whats a good combo? or who is the vendor to reachout to?

Are there parts that will move over to a 502 should I find a block next summer?

Is there a link for identifying the present heads prior to removal?

Thanks, Tom
Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have the standard 330HP 454? If so and you are probably reading the "Dream O Meter". If you have the Mag engine that is good and the speed you are seeing is pretty close. The mag is a better base engine to start with, the standard engine has all cast internals and small port heads. Either way you will need to gain about 100HP to get to 65. First question is what is your budget? Because there are no "budget builds" for boats. That will only get you towed in and cost you more money later. I would start with the exhaust, that will cost you about 2-3K just for that. It will only gain you 1 or 2 MPH but they will be needed for a cam upgrade. Get the long risers to avoid reversion. They could be used on any BBC.
Do you have the casting numbers off your heads?
Mortec.com used to be the best but last time I tried to use it the site was down.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

You will need about 425hp to get to 65mph. It can be done with an intake, cam, carb and exhaust and milling the heads..........as long as you have a 454Mag and not a 310hp or 330hp 454.
You will also need a good lab job on the prop.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have the base 454, you are going to need to change the heads to go anywhere...a pair of large oval ports like 781's a perfromer rpm air gap, 800 dp holley, good cam(hyd roller if you can swing that) and exhaust...
Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Because there are no "budget builds" for boats. That will only get you towed in and cost you more money later. I would start with the exhaust, that will cost you about 2-3K just for that. It will only gain you 1 or 2 MPH but they will be needed for a cam upgrade. Get the long risers to avoid reversion. They could be used on any BBC.
Do you have the casting numbers off your heads?
Mortec.com used to be the best but last time I tried to use it the site was down.
Budget over time....not meaning to cut corners looknig to put a parts list together and path that may allow me to do some now...such as exhaust as it would be required for the cam.

Thanks for the input.
Tom
Old 09-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aven2rus
Budget over time....not meaning to cut corners looknig to put a parts list together and path that may allow me to do some now...such as exhaust as it would be required for the cam.

Thanks for the input.
Tom
Got it, I would start with the exhaust. Again, what engine are you starting with? That would help us advise you. There is a big difference between the standard and the mag engines. Mag engines have large port heads and forged internals. Standard engines have small port heads, cast internals and a tiny oil cooler.