Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 ho at low speed cuts out all of sudden beeps then fine?? >

496 ho at low speed cuts out all of sudden beeps then fine??

Notices

496 ho at low speed cuts out all of sudden beeps then fine??

Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 ho at low speed cuts out all of sudden beeps then fine??

the last couple times i have taken my 02 baja outlaw only 180 hours on engine to the lake....

it only happens at a low speed has always been in drive/forward cuts out for a second the alarm beeps but it doesnt die and then its fine??

it runs strong 65+ top end runs fine even with a 06 25 ol buddy of mine maybe a bit faster

what could this be?? when im running at cruise speed about 40mph i watch the tach and it seems to bounce just a hair maybe feels like the boat is missinga bit like you feel it lunging back and forward i cant tell if it is just the way it moves threw the water or something with the engine. its really hard to notice it but i feel a little something i think. its hard to explain im sorry my first performance boat and just not sure

could someone please help me with their thoughts

when i bought the boat 3 months ago the oil was new and filters. i have used it alot since i bought it plus he said he didnt used merc oil so i changed the oil and put new fuel/water sep and oil filter just to feel safe that its done. glad i did b/c the guy before me had 10 1/2 qts in it ?? oil looks clean as can be when i checked it earlier it doesnt smoke or anything runs nice it just cuts out all of a sudden beeps back to nromal rest of the day??

Last edited by 4Lance; 09-21-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Get the motor scanned.

If you plan on keeping the boat for a while I would invest in a scan tool or diagnostic software, it WILL pay for itself.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do you find one for the best price?? is it only made by mercruiser??
Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

http://www.rinda.com/

Or, you might be able to find on on ebay too.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Won't hurt to check the engine ground connections and battery connections, a little loosness or corrosion can cause the electronics on the engine to cutout. Also any sensor on the engine that has a loose or dirty connection can cause a "Guardian" beep type event. Unplug and clean with contact cleaner all connections at the sensors and give it a try, it will probably stop the problem.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of m 6.2s did almost the same thing a few years ago.If your tach is dropping that fast you are losing ignition.Run boat in water or on hose and move,pull on every wire and connection.It turned out it was the wire on the #7 injector.
You could also have an ignition part going bad but like Ray said keep it simple and start with basics first.The beep you are hearing is the engine is technically off and the key is on.