Notices

Recomendations on new steering

Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Recomendations on new steering

Looking for recomendations on steering systems-
After the LI race my steering is wiped out!
Pump siezed, steel line blew out, power steering control valve broken and leaking...might as well go to external at this point.
Any suggestions on equipment vs. price vs. quality
Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

i have latham on my fastech 292...idk how they compare to the competitors.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The best bang for the buck is the Mayfair from CP Performance. It is a really nice system, especially for the money.
I also frequently use IMCO. It is a very nice system. Although, it is a little more than the Mayfair.
IMCO use a new rear outdrive cap to attach the rams to the drive. Mayfair uses a modular SS wingplate. It rally boils down to preference. I don't really care for having to deal with the wingplate when removing the drive. The modular one that Mayfair has takes a lot of the hassle out. It is probably stronger to, not that strength is really an issue.
One thing I can say about the Mayfair system is that it is 100% complete. The IMCO system does not come with a reservior or the high pressure line from the pump to the filter. You just re-use the stock hose. Or, you could get some fittings and hose and make your own like I do. It's only about $30 worth of parts.
On twins, I use the IMCO Unimount. It is a triangle ram mount that holds both rams and oil tubes in the center of the transom. It is the cleanest setup out there. On single, I usually use the Mayfair.

Hope that gives you an idea. A dual ram, full hydraulic single engine system from Mayfair is approx. $3200-3300. The same IMCO system is approx. $3700-3800. These are rough prices off the top of my head. I am a dealer for both, so I can get you more accurate pricing if you would like. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.xsperformancemarine.biz/page3.html
Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently installed a full Mayfair system on my 28 Baja. Fairly easy to do (once you are comfortable with drilling a lot of holes in the transom) and system works very good.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We also offer steering systems from Latham, Imco, Zeiger & mayfair..

An external system is far superior to an old school internal system.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The best bang for the buck is the Mayfair from CP Performance. It is a really nice system, especially for the money.
I also frequently use IMCO. It is a very nice system. Although, it is a little more than the Mayfair.
IMCO use a new rear outdrive cap to attach the rams to the drive. Mayfair uses a modular SS wingplate. It rally boils down to preference. I don't really care for having to deal with the wingplate when removing the drive. The modular one that Mayfair has takes a lot of the hassle out. It is probably stronger to, not that strength is really an issue.
One thing I can say about the Mayfair system is that it is 100% complete. The IMCO system does not come with a reservior or the high pressure line from the pump to the filter. You just re-use the stock hose. Or, you could get some fittings and hose and make your own like I do. It's only about $30 worth of parts.
On twins, I use the IMCO Unimount. It is a triangle ram mount that holds both rams and oil tubes in the center of the transom. It is the cleanest setup out there. On single, I usually use the Mayfair.

Hope that gives you an idea. A dual ram, full hydraulic single engine system from Mayfair is approx. $3200-3300. The same IMCO system is approx. $3700-3800. These are rough prices off the top of my head. I am a dealer for both, so I can get you more accurate pricing if you would like. Good luck.
Eddie
Is that full hydraulic?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sport 280
Recently installed a full Mayfair system on my 28 Baja. Fairly easy to do (once you are comfortable with drilling a lot of holes in the transom) and system works very good.
did you notice any diffrence in your trun radius?i mean did you lose any or did you gain ?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
Is that full hydraulic?
Yes it is.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bcfountain
did you notice any diffrence in your trun radius?i mean did you lose any or did you gain ?
Turning radius increased, but with twins turn in tight space is easy with forward/reverse.

The increase in security is well worth the turning radius increase.

Full mayfair system was about 4k from CP Performance.