Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
nitrous HP performance >

nitrous HP performance

Notices

nitrous HP performance

Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a system on a twin engine Formula, picked up about 10 mph w a 125 kit. I think around two munutes total run time w twin 15 lb bottles.
Ran good no problems had good filters on all the solenoids to keep trash out.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by nxfirebird
no offense, but by your wording and question on bottle life, my guess is you don't have a lot of experience with nitrous, so forget this idea. i've g
have 18 years of nitrous racing heads up stuff. with out typing out a novel on everything that's going to happen, what you need to do, what your going to fight, etc, i'll just some it up by saying if you want to give it a try i'd have a back up motor.
you race the pro edelbrock class?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have thought about NOS before, you would need a controller to keep the drive together. On my boat I have wideband O2 and a Holley MPI kit to adjust the mixture. Right now I run 74@5200 on the GPS and I can easily spin it up to 5600. I figured it would cost about $1k to set it up correctly. If it was only used 5 or 6 times you could probably get by on one bottle a season. Unfortunatlly I will not be doing anything else to the boat untill business picks up. Twin Turbo, or supercharger would be better.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I have thought about NOS before, you would need a controller to keep the drive together. On my boat I have wideband O2 and a Holley MPI kit to adjust the mixture. Right now I run 74@5200 on the GPS and I can easily spin it up to 5600. I figured it would cost about $1k to set it up correctly. If it was only used 5 or 6 times you could probably get by on one bottle a season. Unfortunatlly I will not be doing anything else to the boat untill business picks up. Twin Turbo, or supercharger would be better.
Yeah i know what you mean, running 85@5100rpm so ,thought add 4-500 with nos ,rev is at 5,600rpm ,would the drive really be hit that hard at 4-500rpm when you only hit it at 70 plus?? Maybe get low ninties,wouldn't use in rough waters or long runs,just a short race 8-10 sec.or radar run.
thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
you race the pro edelbrock class?
no, i wish. we mostly ran the little stuff to match our budget.
i ran super street in an old group call MSRA, and limited 10.5 at the outlaw 1/8 mile stuf,. we also had a car in ez street and drag radial.
used to think that stuff was expensive til i got a boat!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SHAWN DAVIS
I put a system on a twin engine Formula, picked up about 10 mph w a 125 kit. I think around two munutes total run time w twin 15 lb bottles.
Ran good no problems had good filters on all the solenoids to keep trash out.

what did ya do about bottle pressure droping on 2 min?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Run a 100lb bottle... LOL
Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I think were missing the use ,this isn't for a poker run ,its just to run your buddy for 5-10 seconds each time.
If your going 70mph then hit button for 10 seconds you can travel a long way to see whos faster ,count to 10 its a long full throttle. unless were off shore racing or poker runs of which we all know nitrous would be stupid for that?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by r015
Yeah i know what you mean, running 85@5100rpm so ,thought add 4-500 with nos ,rev is at 5,600rpm ,would the drive really be hit that hard at 4-500rpm when you only hit it at 70 plus?? Maybe get low ninties,wouldn't use in rough waters or long runs,just a short race 8-10 sec.or radar run.
thanks
A few years ago, Hot Boat Mag did a project with NOS. They used a progresive controller and worked well. If I use a controller and bring it on slow the PCM would be able to adjust the mixture more accuratly. I am just speculating here, I will most likly not do it. I would rather do Twin Turbo's.