.060 4 bolt main >

.060 4 bolt main

Notices

.060 4 bolt main

Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .060 4 bolt main

I have a 350 sbc 4bolt main that has been bore .060 sitting on the stand. I have torn the engine down and see that the cyliders may only require a clean up hone.
My question is is it wise to build a 60 over engine to run in a boat? I am not looking for an all out race engine, just a spare engine.
the engine came out of a truck and has a steel crank and I think cast dished pistons.
Depending on a good check up (no cracks) could this be made into a reliable engine for a boat or is .060 to far out?....Hal
Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.060 is bunch in a SB, sometimes you can get away with it and be fine...sometimes not..later model blocks worse as they seem thinner, it can be sonic checked to see what you have..
Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Thanks , I will be taking to get it maged and sonic tested soon.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Registered

I work for a engine machine shop and a very proud one hear in town. bein in business going on 46 yrs this nov. we will not redo a engine for marine use if it goes over 40. alot of the shops i know wil not either. major reman. shops also wont go over that lucky number 40 for anything.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As EZ stated, it's alot of overbore in a SBC.. I'd sonic and pressure test it. I've run some .060 engines in my race car and have found a few that developed pin hole leaks in the cylnder walls after a few runs. If your insistant on running a SBC I would go with an aftermarket block designed to be .060 over when cast like a Dart block. No replacement for displacement as the saying goes.