Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Steering broke, though me out @ 80 MPH, gimbal broke or did I hit?? >

Steering broke, though me out @ 80 MPH, gimbal broke or did I hit??

Notices

Steering broke, though me out @ 80 MPH, gimbal broke or did I hit??

Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
IMO, when you put power through standard Bravo Gimbals, they can break at anytime. Even when new. You really need to play it safe and get dual ram hydraulic steering, Mercs HP gimbal or better yet, Imcos gimbal.
Why do they break? when is it overkill? Most of the boats I'm looking at, that do say 60 or 70 don't have hydraulics. Some only have the one sided ram (I don't get that at all)

When do you justify an HP gimbal?

What else breaks on the stock steering? (in other words, why do people put on Hydraulic, is it for the gimbal only, or other reasons?)
Old 10-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
Your lucky the boat didn't come back and run you over or you got knocked out and drowned...Bet you weren't wearing a lifejacket either...80mph without a kill switch is asking for trouble...

I'd spend the money on a IMCO setup but XR HD gimbal assembly with dual ram hydraulic steering is a good alternative.

PLEASE DON'T take the advice of faking hitting something I don't need my insurance to go up either.
Acutally, I was wearing a life jacket

No one was around, water was cold, just in case, and luckily I was wearing it. I think saved my ribs from cracking, as I was chucked from the boat (ribs hurt for over a week, but not broken)

No kill switch was on the boat....

Next boat WILL have one, and will be used.

Gotta get a better life jacket, mine would not have saved my if I was on consious.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would the same thing have happened in a twin engine boat? Or would the good drive be enough to keep it from turning so violently?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2Slow,
the full hydraulic steering takes all the play out of the steering. So nice to have a tight hold on that outdrive. It does also help support the components back there. So total steering control and added measure if safety.

Rage;
"At what age/hours does fatigue failure of a standard Bravo gimbal start to show up?"
Right before it breaks completely!! (Sorry I had to be a smart a**.)
Hard to tell, when the hinge pins unscrew that causes play, that adds stress, etc.
When the tiller arm loosens.. it can crack the gimbal.
Wave jumping, landing sideways, that adds stress, etc.
When trailering, if the drive swings back and forth (fully hyd wont let it do that), adds stress.
It is one item you should look for wear and loose components on a very regular basis.. Each time you pull the boat out, if you do, good time to check it.

Hope that helps..
Dick
Old 10-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 594 Likes on 242 Posts

You sure the tiller pin arm did not strip out the gimbal and the gimbal failure at thetilt pins is a result of the sudden hard left.

In 83 I had a tiller arm go bad on an old 78 early alpha drive and about kill me and my girlfriend , thank god we were on a small calm lake when it happened.

2 weeks before i was out on lake Michigan in mid April tearing up 4 footers.If it had happened then we would have been both dead.