454 (330hp) winter upgrades >

454 (330hp) winter upgrades

Notices

454 (330hp) winter upgrades

Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I use the EMI Thunders, they are alluminum manifolds with stainless risers. The water is separated from the exhaust until the end. The log style were used mainly on jet boats so I am not sure what you have now. Do a little research on the different types, EMI, Dana, CMI, look at CP they have a few different brands also.
I've been researching exhaust for awhile actually. I would really prefer to use a "header style" exhaust like lightnings or cmi but don't think I can fit them under the hatch. I'm gonna have to take some measurements. At this point I think I'm going to be limited to a "manifold style" exhaust of some sort. That's why I had mentioned Stainless Exhaust. Everything I've read or heard regarding them seems to be good. My 502 will redline at 5,800 so what ever I decide to go with, I'm going to have to make sure I have exhaust that will breath to at least that rpm. Any suggestions anyone has would be useful. Sorry for the confusion........I meant manifold style, not log style!

Last edited by mustangmark; 10-06-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangmark
I've been researching exhaust for awhile actually. I would really prefer to use a "header style" exhaust like lightnings or cmi but don't think I can fit them under the hatch. I'm gonna have to take some measurements. At this point I think I'm going to be limited to a "manifold style" exhaust of some sort. That's why I had mentioned Stainless Exhaust. Everything I've read or heard regarding them seems to be good. My 502 will redline at 5,800 so what ever I decide to go with, I'm going to have to make sure I have exhaust that will breath to at least that rpm. Any suggestions anyone has would be useful. Sorry for the confusion........I meant manifold style, not log style!
That makes more sense. Any of the reputable manufacures will work for what you are doing.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Headers are not any taller than performance manifolds.

I would scrap everything in your plan that you can't use on the 502. Use the money that you were going to spend and get some CMI E-Tops.

There is certainly no way to tell what your WOT max rpms will be on the 502 engine until you have it done and its dyno'd.

Gil manifolds vs CMI Unitops
Attached Thumbnails 454 (330hp) winter upgrades-pantera-engine-02.jpg   454 (330hp) winter upgrades-525sc.2.jpg  

Last edited by Griff; 10-07-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Griff, you really think that better heads, 1.7's, a new intake, a new prop, and a new exhaust is only worth 2-3 mph? I think the new heads will open up the rpm band 200-300 rpm, the add-ons should add a bit of power, and the combo should allow him to spin the 23's... That was my thinking anyhow...
As he posted, he's not changing heads.

Originally Posted by bigboat28
How much hp could you get from adding a 177 blower on a 454 making 425 hp?
Somewhere around 100hp increase depending on boost and how the engine is set up now.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually tossed around the idea of putting a 177 blower on it at one point and it's a good solution to getting some #'s rather cheaply but I have a couple hang up's with going that direction.

The first problem is clearance, I'm not sure I really want to cut into my upholstered engine hatch (I don't have a whole lot of room under the hatch as it sits so there's no way a blower would fit w/o doing some cutting). Also, I would have to move my rear seat forward 2-3 inches to clear the belt and build something to cover the gap at the end of the hatch where it would meet the back of the rear seat after I moved it forward.
The other issue which has always been on my mind is that I'm not to sure how the cast internals in the bottom end will hold up and I have already bought the holley carb to be n/a. You have a good point though!
Is the hatch two pc? If so take the top part off, and if the bottom is glass buff it or paint it and add a scoop, that is is you are sure you really need to cut, many don;t have to.

I know of a lot of people that have run boost on cast lowers, 496ho, 454no mag efi and the old 330's. Not one has blown up, and all have gained 7-11 mph. And you are not keeping this set-up right? Let her eat for a year...the used blower will be worth more than the used engine next year

Maybe find a used procharger remote mount?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigboat28
How much hp could you get from adding a 177 blower on a 454 making 425 hp?
Could not find a dyno on 177, but look at the procharger numbers! more than you think

http://www.procharger.com/M_engine.shtml
Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
I agree. I wouldn't want to bolt a blower onto a 330 motor.

I also agree that an air-gap manifold is a good manifold for a 502, unless you want to get radical with it. You may want to discuss your Hp goals and what you're considering putting into your new motor with some people on here and base your 454 mods on your new motor. That said, I think an air-gap should be the better intake (more reliable, steadier power, more lower-end power, etc.) up to about 550 hp. Someone on here may have a more accurate #, but the RPM air-gap is a damn good intake.

Griff, you really think that better heads, 1.7's, a new intake, a new prop, and a new exhaust is only worth 2-3 mph? I think the new heads will open up the rpm band 200-300 rpm, the add-ons should add a bit of power, and the combo should allow him to spin the 23's... That was my thinking anyhow...
So you guys don't think he should just bolt on a blower becuase he has cast lowers. BUT, he should change the heads, and more n/a fuel and air, raise the RPM's and run 34 degrees of timing on the verge of detination? Crazy lol
Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered

I actually tossed around the idea of putting a 177 blower on it at one point and it's a good solution to getting some #'s rather cheaply but I have a couple hang up's with going that direction.

The first problem is clearance, I'm not sure I really want to cut into my upholstered engine hatch (I don't have a whole lot of room under the hatch as it sits so there's no way a blower would fit w/o doing some cutting). Also, I would have to move my rear seat forward 2-3 inches to clear the belt and build something to cover the gap at the end of the hatch where it would meet the back of the rear seat after I moved it forward.
The other issue which has always been on my mind is that I'm not to sure how the cast internals in the bottom end will hold up and I have already bought the holley carb to be n/a. You have a good point though!
Oh, and that carb you have can be fixed right up by Nickerson. I had nickerson holley's on my 500's with 177's and they ran like efi's
Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have run 36 deg of timing on almost every v8 engine I have owned. Never damaged one yet, a lot of guys run more than that, N/A engines of course.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Originally Posted by 4bus
So you guys don't think he should just bolt on a blower becuase he has cast lowers. BUT, he should change the heads, and more n/a fuel and air, raise the RPM's and run 34 degrees of timing on the verge of detination? Crazy lol
34* is nowhere near the verge of detonation on a low comp NA engine.

I don't think he should do anything other than the exhaust and maybe the MSD. The gains are not worth the $$ for the short term.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.