Notices

After Market Efi Fuel Managment System

Old 05-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Efi Fuel Managment System

I'm looking to replace the GM EFI 3 FMS

which one would you recommend ?
I'm looking for a system that will be easy retrofit.

The motor also has a whipple SC

thanks,
jdelo
Old 05-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Registered

The Haltech system is a good one and very reasonable, also it uses GM style plugs, so you can unplug yours and plug it up. you will need to make a provision for a wide band oxygen sensor and a 2 bar map sensor. A bung can be welded into your exhaust for the O2 sensor. I think I read in a post that Whipple welds those in for its customers. The Haltech is adjustable and retails for about $900 and change.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:16 AM
Bayley

SDS (Simple Digital Systems) should also be considered.
They pride themselves on an "easy to use / program" setup. They are probably a couple hundred less than the Hal-Tech's. Also the SDS does not require a wide band O2 sensor ($500+) and comes with all the MAP sensors. However, the SDS does not have any type of Datalogging features (last I heard) like the Hal-Tech.

Either one will probably work wonders compared to Merc's Dinosaur EFI controller.

Jspeed,
The Whipple O2 sensor is simply a narrow band thermo couple that is scrwed into a drilled and tapped hole, on the bottom of the exhaust manifold. The only finction they really serve is a temperature overload warning. I don't think you could really get an accurate A/F reading from them. Also, they are know to be very fragile. I busted one after about 10 hours of use and Dustin didn't seem too surprised.

-Bayley

Old 05-10-2002, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know if the Haltec computer will plug directly into the mercruiser harness and I don't think it has knock sensor capabible. Plan on $500-700 for a wide band O2 sensor.

I have looked at the computer by PFM Products those who make the superchiller at www.superchiller.com and aam impressed with it. Plug in, knock sensor, fuel and ignition control, fully adjustable.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:46 AM
turbo2256

Electromotive is the way I will go when turbos are added to my setup

Old 05-10-2002, 12:09 PM
Registered

The PFM system is the SDS system but set up for marine and I think exclusively sold by PFM.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:13 PM
Registered

Just what I want to read, Something else to spend my money on after finally (maybe) getting my jetting right.

Jspeed.
Are you going to use the Haltech system & trash the carbs? Are you going to change the manifold & go with one carb instead of the dual?
Old 05-10-2002, 06:45 PM
502SS

Has anyone here used the F.A.S.T. (Speed-Pro) system? I am installing one on my 96 Baja 272 - 454 MagMPI w/Vortech supercharger. The FAST system is very nice and has real wide-band O2 support. I have one piggy-backed onto the ECM in my Suburban - 502 w/Paxton Novi-2000 supercharger. With the wide-band O2 it is real easy to tune. It's not cheap, about $2000 with the O2 sensor but well worth it especially if you like to do it yourself.
Check out what I pull my 272 with http://www.502ss.com

John
[email protected]

Old 05-13-2002, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I've been researching this for some time and just now purchased the FAST. The SDS and PFM are the exact same unit and niether have "wide band" O2 capacity, nor does the Haltech I believe.
The SDS/PFM does appear to be very easy to use and does not require a laptop but is limited.
I guess it really depends on what you are doing. I'm setting up a supercharger on a 540 and will be tuning on the water. I would not do this without wide band capability.
The FAST, as well as Electromotive, Accel and a couple others have this capacity. The FAST is looked on very favorably by Whipple, ProCharger, Vortech, etc...
Note: the wide band is only used for setup and should be removed once setup. The piece welded in by Whipple is an exhaust temp sensor and does not calculate A/F.
www.force-efi.com has some very good knowledge and it would be well worth a call before you decide. They carry most all brands (except SDS/PFM). He can set you up with a good price and won't sell you more than you need.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

What do you think is limiting about the SDS/PFM unit? It is boost capable, and retains the knock sensor. You can then temporally use an O2 sensor to tune. Autronics has a nice one, reasonable, used by ASM and GT Perf.

Quick Reply: After Market Efi Fuel Managment System

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.