Fogging a fuel injected engine 350 Mag MPI >

Fogging a fuel injected engine 350 Mag MPI

Notices

Fogging a fuel injected engine 350 Mag MPI

Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a hint on the Marvel Mystery oil. We did two boats a couple of years ago with the MMO. They were both 525's and had a hell of a time getting started in the spring. For some reason it seemed like the oil pooled in the injectors and made it very hard to get it out and get fuel through. I never expected to see that but both sets of engines were done the same and both had issues. It may be because the MMO didn't mix as well with the fuel as 2 stroke does.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
OK, I'm going to correct myself and admit that there is a way to fog a FI engine - and several of you have noted it. I'm not in a salt water environment where fogging to prevent corrosion is a big issue, so going through the pain of opening a fuel line to introduce the fuel / oil mixture is something we've decided not to do. BTW, how many times can you break open a fuel line and not have it leak. Hmmmm. Anybody smell (literally) a liability issue for a marina here?

On the other hand, can anybody name the upstream sensor that doesn't like dirt / crud / oil getting coated on it - and is critical to your engine's proper operation? With carburated engines, you just introduce fogging oil right through the carb throat(s) for a bit and you're done. Do that through a FI motor and guess what gets crudded up over time? Food for through.
30 seconds to remove the IAT sensor. 5 seconds to clean it with brake cleaner. 30 seconds to put it back in. 0ne minute and 5 seconds of annual maint service. No issue what so ever.

As for fogging an efi engine, salt is not the issue, condensation from temp and humidity fluctuations is.

PS, another easy way to fog efi motors is to pull a vacum line like the one going to the fuel pressure regulator. Connect a hose with a restrictor ( I use a vacum line reducer fitting worth 20 cents) and drop it into a bottle of 2 stroke oil while running the motor to heat it up. The motor will draw the oil in in small, metered amounts while running and coat the valves.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

OK, I'm going to correct myself and admit that there is a way to fog a FI engine - and several of you have noted it. I'm not in a salt water environment where fogging to prevent corrosion is a big issue, so going through the pain of opening a fuel line to introduce the fuel / oil mixture is something we've decided not to do. BTW, how many times can you break open a fuel line and not have it leak. Hmmmm. Anybody smell (literally) a liability issue for a marina here?

On the other hand, can anybody name the upstream sensor that doesn't like dirt / crud / oil getting coated on it - and is critical to your engine's proper operation? With carburated engines, you just introduce fogging oil right through the carb throat(s) for a bit and you're done. Do that through a FI motor and guess what gets crudded up over time? Food for through.

Map sensor,,if that were the case then merc would not have the pcv going to any part of the intake including the hose from the valve cover to the flame arrestor. the engine is sucking not forcing the fogging oil into the sensors..
Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
Just a hint on the Marvel Mystery oil. We did two boats a couple of years ago with the MMO. They were both 525's and had a hell of a time getting started in the spring. For some reason it seemed like the oil pooled in the injectors and made it very hard to get it out and get fuel through. I never expected to see that but both sets of engines were done the same and both had issues. It may be because the MMO didn't mix as well with the fuel as 2 stroke does.
Well I'll be! Same thing happened to my 496..... never used MMO on it before last fall & this past spring it did not want to wake up.... won;t do that again!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

we always pull the fuel filter, put a couple ounces of two stroke oil in the filter, and let it run, never had problems having hard starts in the spring, always fires right up. BTW this is on a 5.0efi
Old 08-07-2023, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser bulletin

Fogging is not recommended for Fuel Injected engines. You can actually cause more problems than you'll prevent by doing it. We only fog older carburated I/O's and outboards.
Everdently you never read Mercruiser's bulletin. They present the proper way to fog a fuel injected engine.
mid it wasn't recommended why would they issue a bulletin on how to properly perform it
Old 08-07-2023, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 440 Likes on 239 Posts

i learned multi port engines will hydro lock will oil easily if fogged
Old 08-07-2023, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen Bertulli
Everdently you never read Mercruiser's bulletin. They present the proper way to fog a fuel injected engine.
mid it wasn't recommended why would they issue a bulletin on how to properly perform it
No. 2001-15 WARRANTY INFORMATIONSERVICE INFORMATION New Gasoline EFI/MPI Engine Fogging Procedure Models
All MerCruiser gasoline EFI and MPI engines produced in Stillwater.
NOTE: This change does not apply to carbureted engines produced in Stillwater or Hi-Performance engines produced by Mercury Racing.
Change Follow this new fogging procedure when laying an engine up for storage.
Fogging Mixture In a 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank,
mix: 5 US gal (19 L) regular unleaded 87 octane (90 RON) gasoline.
64 fl oz. (1.89 L) Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil.
5 fl oz. (150 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer, OR 1 fl oz. (30 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer Concentrate.
SEPTEMBER 2001 2001-15 New Fogging Procedure
1.Disconnect and plug boat's fuel line from Water Separating Fuel Filter inlet.
2.Connect remote outboard fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the inlet of the Water Separating Fuel Filter. IMPORTANT: If the boat is out of the water, follow instructions for running engine on flush device as found in service manual for the engine being fogged.
3.a.Cool Fuel models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes.
b.VST models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 10 minutes.
4.After specified running time is complete, slowly return throttle to idle rpm and shut engine off. IMPORTANT: Do not run engine's fuel system dry of this fogging mixture in the 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

^^^^ that's what we follow but with mid grade recreation - ethanol free or high test which is ethanol free up here
Old 08-07-2023, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 405 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by boostbros
i learned multi port engines will hydro lock will oil easily if fogged
How much oil is being injected?

As for the talk about the ait and map sensor getting coated on fuel injected engines, if you put the oil in the fuel system and it goes through the fuel injectors, the oil never hits those sensors and also lubes the injectors for storage.