Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mercruiser 6.2 320hp or Scorpion 6.2 340hp?? >

Mercruiser 6.2 320hp or Scorpion 6.2 340hp??

Notices

Mercruiser 6.2 320hp or Scorpion 6.2 340hp??

Old 10-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when in Rome...????i really don't know what you mean....
But i can tell you that i prefer no rebuilt the old one because they have 21 years...and i'd like keep the new one for many years... my dream would be BPM Vulcano 450hp but they are so expensive!!!so what do you think about CMI exhaust??or do you know other good exhaust considering that i love and i want a big idle!!!
Thank's,
Federico
Old 10-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Registered

I've got about 350hrs on a 06' MX 6.2 with no troubles, I added stainless marine exhaust and honestly don't feel as tho I gained but maybe 1-1 1/2 mph, did save 83lbs over the factory iron, which helped the boats attitude. Not a lot that you can to the 6.2 other than exhaust, which won't gain much, or have Whipple reprogram you ECU, or add boost. It's been a solid trouble free engine but if your looking to buy and add HP with exhaust or a tune I'd say you prolly won't see significant gains unless you add boost. Good luck Steve
Old 10-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
ya know what they say....when in Rome.......
Evidently they don't know. Over here in North America there is a saying "When in Rome do as the Romans do".
Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Registered

Thank's a lot for the advice...at the end i think that i'll put stainless exhaust and i hope in a big sound...
p.s. i don't know about this saying....
Old 10-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Registered

Here's the deal. 6.2 and 377 are the same thing. Just different nomenclature that changed about 2008.

The 340hp 6.2 Scorpion is an inboard engine. It's rated 20hp higher than the regular 6.2 because of the high rise aluminum intake it uses versus the truck plastic intake used on the regular 6.2. Unless you or your dealer want to get creative with wiring, you don't want an inboard engine. It doesn't have connections for your shift plate.

As mentioned above, the 400hp 383 is a remanufactured engine. Not a big deal as they replace all gaskets, bearings, etc. and overbore the cylinders. It uses the aluminum high rise intake a bigger cam/heads/etc... to get the 400hp.

If it were me, I'd rebuild your big blocks. What moves a heavy boat well isn't horsepower, it's torque. Cubic inches give you torque.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle
Here's the deal. 6.2 and 377 are the same thing. Just different nomenclature that changed about 2008.

The 340hp 6.2 Scorpion is an inboard engine. It's rated 20hp higher than the regular 6.2 because of the high rise aluminum intake it uses versus the truck plastic intake used on the regular 6.2. Unless you or your dealer want to get creative with wiring, you don't want an inboard engine. It doesn't have connections for your shift plate.

As mentioned above, the 400hp 383 is a remanufactured engine. Not a big deal as they replace all gaskets, bearings, etc. and overbore the cylinders. It uses the aluminum high rise intake a bigger cam/heads/etc... to get the 400hp.

If it were me, I'd rebuild your big blocks. What moves a heavy boat well isn't horsepower, it's torque. Cubic inches give you torque.
Yet another fascinating example of the common misunderstanding that torque is worth anything as a single value.

Torque is worth nothing, horsepower is everything. Sorry mate.

And regarding the blue 377 Scorpion motors they were OEM fit as stearndrives in both Formulas and Donzis, so I have a hard time understanding why that should be avoided.

However we agree that 377cin equals 6,2l, but thats not the biggest revelation this year