Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine tick/knock?  Please help!!! >

Engine tick/knock? Please help!!!

Notices

Engine tick/knock? Please help!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So tomorrow night I am going to follow the advise given here, and set number 1 to tdc adjust exh valve on cylinder # 1,3,4,8 and intake valve #1,2,5,7, then rotate 1 turn so number six is at tdc, and adjust exh valve #2,5,6,7 and intake valve #3,4,6,8 to 5 thousands across the board? Then fire it up correct? If these should be adjusted between 5-6 thousands then I would say at 40 she was making the noise for sure!!! Also I just tighten the rocker with the feeler gauge between the rocker and the valve stem to set lash correct?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
So tomorrow night I am going to follow the advise given here, and set number 1 to tdc adjust exh valve on cylinder # 1,3,4,8 and intake valve #1,2,5,7, then rotate 1 turn so number six is at tdc, and adjust exh valve #2,5,6,7 and intake valve #3,4,6,8 to 5 thousands across the board? Then fire it up correct? If these should be adjusted between 5-6 thousands then I would say at 40 she was making the noise for sure!!! Also I just tighten the rocker with the feeler gauge between the rocker and the valve stem to set lash correct?
I would double check with the builder that you do in fact have a hyd. roller cam and solid roller lifters, and see what they recommend for valve lash settings.

I would also be prepared to quickly shut it off when you "fire it up," just in case.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Okay to clarify, they are hydraulic roller cams, with solid roller lifters, and roller rocker's. I just double and triple checked all valve lash on the motor with the tick/knock. I think I found the problem. I have one reading as low as 5 thousands, but most are between10-18 thousands. Now Dennis remember the valve cover you thought the tick was under, well the #2 cylinder exh valve has 40 thousands lash. You can literally pick up the end of the rocker and let it fall on the valve stem and duplicate the noise only softer of course because there is no load on it like when it's running. Does this sound like what could be causing all of my issues? So what should I be setting lash at, and how hard would it be to convert to hydraulic roller lifters, do the motor's have to come out for that?

you will have to drain the blocks and remove the intake manifolds to replace the lifters and probablt the pushrods.

pull the filter on that engine and punch a hole in it and cut it open witha pair of tin snips,,look into the center of the filter for metal shavings..may not be the case of the cam lobe going south but i would still check it..
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

If you haven't set lash before I would not be learning on this. You need to know where the base of the cam is in correlation to the valve timing events. It's been since last winter when I last did mine. The base of the cam is not symmetrically round so you lash cam vary on the bottom of the cam.
Who built the engines?? You can PM me if you don't want to air it out or just don't want to say I understand.

Last edited by Rookie; 10-27-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob you can do it in the boat you just need to take off your intake manifold.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Just a thought here, but if the lash was that far out of wack and inconsistent, I would look at all possibilities. Check the rocker studs to make sure they are torqued correctly, next make sure the push rod cups on the rockers are still there and not cracked and the pushrod tips are not flattened. Are the threads of the rocker studs in good shape and are the poly-lock nuts in good shape and does the inner set screw turn smoothly. there is only two reasons why your lash was so far off, either the builder had his lackey lash the engine or something is broken. Depending on how far the builder is from the boat I would insist that he show you how HE wants the lash adjusted. Any reputable engine builder should want to show you how it is done to cover their a$$.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

OKay I think I got some good news. I called the engine builder today and he was very helpful. Both of these engine's where set up the same, with crane roller cams and SOLID roller lifter's, with crane roller rocker's. They are adjusted to 10 thousands lash and am being told the marbely sound under the valve covers (especially aluminum one's) is very normal with solid roller lifter's. So that explains the one motor, now I just need to find that tick/knock in the other one. Does this new info line up with what the engine builder is telling me? How often should the solid lifter setup be checked and or adjusted?
Solid lifters will make a lot more noise than hydraulic. 10 thousandths seems very tight for solids, but all the solids I ran were in cars with flat tappet cams. They were set to about .020-.022.
The noise you are hearing on the one engine could easily be one out of adjustment.

I would check the adjustment at the beginning of every season or every 40-50hrs.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Okay to clarify, they are hydraulic roller cams, with solid roller lifters, and roller rocker's. I just double and triple checked all valve lash on the motor with the tick/knock. I think I found the problem. I have one reading as low as 5 thousands, but most are between10-18 thousands. Now Dennis remember the valve cover you thought the tick was under, well the #2 cylinder exh valve has 40 thousands lash. You can literally pick up the end of the rocker and let it fall on the valve stem and duplicate the noise only softer of course because there is no load on it like when it's running. Does this sound like what could be causing all of my issues? So what should I be setting lash at, and how hard would it be to convert to hydraulic roller lifters, do the motor's have to come out for that?
I would definately get rid of the solid lifters and switch to hydraulic lifters. I really can't understand why the builder did that in the first place.
You only need to pull the intake to swap lifters.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered

Yep the plan is to re adjust the current solid lifter set up, and make sure that takes care of my noise. I am almost positive it's that rocker at .040 making all the noise. Then I can winterize the engine's, and sleep at night knowing my motors are okay. Then I think we will be looking into a hydraulic roller lifter set up over the winter.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Registered

Default valve adjustment

This is the method I have used for years to adjust my solid roller motors and works very well for me. I have found it to be very easy and have never had any issues doing it this way. Just throwing this method out there for ya.......good luck!

When the Exhaust valve starts to open....adjust the intake valve (for the same cylinder)

When the intake valve opens & starts to close adjust the exhaust
valve (for the same cylinder)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.