HP 500 Clone
Gen VI 502
Crane 169611
Dart intake
93 Octane
Gil Offshores
22" Donzi Classic/ Bravo
90% <3000 RPMs , 5% > 4000Rpms, 5% WOT

Will stock Gen VI valve covers fit on Pro 1s with Crane roller rockers? Any interference w/ Gils?

Can I mill .045 and still have enough valve clearance on a Gen VI w/stock pistons @ .007 in the hole and .039 Felpro (I will check during assembly)?

Is there a bung for an anode on the Pro 1s?

Stage 1s OK for recreational marine w/169611 Roller Hyd?

On a stock (no CNC) cast Pro 1, is Competition Products the best value?

THANKS!

Last edited by RickR; 10-26-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Will stock Gen VI valve covers fit on Pro 1s with Crane roller rockers? Any interference w/ Gils?

If they are the stock composite valve covers, no not even close with roller rockers.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have to trim the ridge in the casting on the exhaust side on the gasket side. The o-ring style gasket will not work with the dart head. Double check for rocker clearance on the pushrod side, and if the covers have the oil splash tabs you may have to remove them.

Make sure the heads are not blems. I know a guy that bought dart heads cheap that had some head bolts drilled incorrectly.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I would not buy assembled heads unless they are from a marine engine builder. The hardware on the vast majority of assembled heads are cheap Chinese stuff. Most only get about 300-400 more for the assembled heads. You can not assemble those heads for 300-400 with good parts. Hell, Manley exhaust valves cost that much. There are a few builders on here, including myself, that can put together a nice set of heads for you with quality parts
As for the anode, you can use a small anode with a 1/4" NPT plug made onto it. I think they are made for small coolers. It is about 3/8" diameter and about 3/4" long with a 1/4" NPT plug made on the end. Just drill and tap the end of the head where it goes into the water passage of the head and screw it in. I have done it several times and it works great. Change it once a year. Hope this helps.
Eddie
Old 10-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS for the replies!
If I were building a High Performance engine I would be working with one of you guys. I am just looking for a little over 500HP. My old OEM 088 rectangular saltwater heads have lasted 1300hrs (800hrs after bronze inserts and a valve job, and 400hrs on the HP 500 clone).
I do not do WOT extended runs, have a large oil cooler and keep an eye on the oil temp gauge

Bottom end is fresh so I guess I'll mill the Pro 1s to 108cc which comes out to 9.75/1, if I have the clearance.

JimV
I will mock up and check the ridge on the casting and use a regular gasket. Later on if I want to build some power I'll get contact you do some head work for me.

Young
I'll at least use Manley Severe Duty and Comp Cams 929s.
Are you on Old Hickory?

Last edited by RickR; 10-29-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RickR
Young
I'll at least use Manley Severe Duty and Comp Cams 929s.
Are you on Old Hickory?
Yes, I am in Old Hickory. The Severe Duty is fine for the intake, but go with the Extreme Duty Inconel for the exhaust valves. Let me know if I can help.
Eddie
Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Registered

Question Failing OEM Exhaust Vavle???????

Young
THANKS! for convincing me to get the Inconels. I discovered this after I placed my order. I wasn't far from destroying my engine
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post3247036

Last edited by RickR; 11-05-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I would not buy assembled heads unless they are from a marine engine builder. The hardware on the vast majority of assembled heads are cheap Chinese stuff. Most only get about 300-400 more for the assembled heads. You can not assemble those heads for 300-400 with good parts. Hell, Manley exhaust valves cost that much. There are a few builders on here, including myself, that can put together a nice set of heads for you with quality parts
As for the anode, you can use a small anode with a 1/4" NPT plug made onto it. I think they are made for small coolers. It is about 3/8" diameter and about 3/4" long with a 1/4" NPT plug made on the end. Just drill and tap the end of the head where it goes into the water passage of the head and screw it in. I have done it several times and it works great. Change it once a year. Hope this helps.
Eddie
I second that....and also many time right out of the box from the manufacturer they need machine work. Eddie I am sure you run into it all the time as we do. Mains tight, decks not smooth n not the greatest seat work. No such thing as "out of the box" in the performance world

Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RickR
Young
THANKS! for convincing me to get the Inconels. I discovered this after I placed my order. I wasn't far from destroying my engine
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post3247036
Glad I could help. Good luck with it.

Originally Posted by mike11
No such thing as "out of the box" in the performance world

Mike
Boy is that the truth. Just like there is no such thing as a bolt on kit.