Sudden loss of power - 496 Mercruiser 375 hp with Bravo 3 question >

Sudden loss of power - 496 Mercruiser 375 hp with Bravo 3 question

Notices

Sudden loss of power - 496 Mercruiser 375 hp with Bravo 3 question

Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden loss of power - 496 Mercruiser 375 hp with Bravo 3 question

I was out on Lake Michigan yesterday heading south to Chicago at about 4000 rpm doing around 55 mph when then engine lost power half the way on the approx 25 mile boat ride. I was able to start the engine and it would not idle, but it would stay running with a little throttle and throwing it in gear. I limped back to my boat launch and pulled it out of the water. Oil pressure, temperature, fluid levels are all where they should be. Any ideas on what it could be?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered

Sounds like to me that you got into some bad fuel. Same thing happen to me about 3 years ago. I had to pump off all my fuel and remove tank. I was lucky that my injectors where able to be cleaned. Check your fuel filter. you may just have to replace the fuel filter. I am no gear head. I hope I was able to help.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered

While it could be a sensor, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Bad fuel or bad fuel pump. I'm assuming no warning horn.

If your engine is a 2001 (like it appears under your name), you should have a Gen 2 fuel system and a spin-on fuel filter on the front, starboard side of the engine. You should have two fuel pumps. One by the spin-on filter and one hugging the oil pan on the port side. See if you audibly hear both of them when you turn the ignition key to the accessory position (position right before you start the engine). If you can't hear them you might have someone cycle the key while you touch the pump to feel if it's on or not. (be careful someone doesn't start the engine and you're clear of the belt). You might have one pump that's bad. If you suspect this to be the case, put a fuel pressure gauge on your Schrader valve on your fuel rail and see if you have about 43psi.

If you remove or change your fuel filter, know that you'll probably have to bleed the air out of your fuel rail. Not hard, but your engine normally won't bleed itself if you don't do this. Cycle the key to prime the electric fuel pumps while using a screwdriver or similar to open the Schrader valve until you have solid fuel flowing out.

I'd also check to make sure all of your plug wires are in place and not burned, and do a quick once over of the wiring running to your sensors.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Registered

Thanks Thomas and American Muscle. I just went out and changed the fuel seperator and then started running through the wires. 1 was loose and another was completely off...I reconnected and it started up like it should and is running smoothly. It seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Registered

Jim thats great. So I guess you going to finsh the cruise today ! Have fun I herd there where 20 to 30 footers out on lake Mich today.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Registered

Better late than never. Yes there are 2 pumps and the same thing would happen a random on my 497/375. Turned out it was the booster pump. It would lose pressure and send the engine into limp mode.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You realize this thread is 3 years old? Good info though!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Registered

must be raining in Jersey
Old 09-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered

I answered an email from the thread and that's why I said better late then never. Only found out about recall because water filled the bilge. I had a heart attack in 2006 so my baby is sitting on a trailer with a brand new 2007 long block that ran about 30 minutes before winterizing. FYI always good, was in for a recall on head water rails and booster pump. They installed the engine at specs but at max allowed so when they took her out while I was ill, water got into the engine though the exhaust and seized her up. Mercury blamed dealer who left engine mount bolts out and replaced with new Long Block. :-). Luckily I had bought a 5 year warranty. Now I'm able to use her but jobless. 4 letter word - L-I-F-E