Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharger thermostat question >

Procharger thermostat question

Notices

Procharger thermostat question

Old 05-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Miguel

Question Procharger thermostat question

What kind of thermostat degrees are people running with prochargers and closed cooling systems, if any?

Old 05-12-2002, 01:42 PM
pimpthis.com
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not using a t-stat in my set up. I also do not have closed cooling.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:59 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

I am running a 120º stat with my procharger. But if you are, you have to install a bypass in the cross over tube. Otherwise you will have way to much water pressure. When I reprogramed my ECU to run with a 120º stat. I put a water pressure gauge. It's a good thing I did. At an Idle I had close to 25 lbs of water pressure. At 1500 rpm I pegged my 35 lbs gauge.
good luck
Old 05-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With closed cooling you may have a big problem. Your heat exchanger was sized for the stock engine and you will be generating a lot more heat than the stock engine. You will have to upsize your heatexchanger or go to a open system.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Kanookstr,

I'm interested in your set up!

Where did you get your 120 degree stat from?

Did you drill any relief holes in the stat or are you using the bypass tube exclusively for that purpose?

What kind of water pressure are you seeing with your set up?

Thanks for the information!
Old 05-13-2002, 06:48 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

I Got the stat from Arizona Speed and Marine. They also reprogramed to run with the 120º.

I am running 5 psi of boost, with there 50lbs injectors, there 2 bar MAP sensor, and reprogramed ECU. With this set up I am able to run a fixed fuel pressure of 49 psi. I must say it runs smother and better than ever before.

For the water pressure I am running the procharger stat housing But I am dumping from the stat housing over board instead of thru the exhaust manifolds. the stat came with a small hole in it.

I then drilled and taped the bottom of the procharger cross over tube, and put the merc. brass "T" with the plastic balls. This feeds my Gil exhaust manifolds. I am seeing a max pressure of 29 lbs in the cross over tube. But I am going to relocate that in the block. I am finding out that the pressure there might be higher than in the block. That should hopefully put me around the 22-25 lbs mark.

Also note I have a thru hull water pickup. I now use the outdrive pickup to supply my intercooler.

Hope this helps Revelocity
Old 05-14-2002, 03:23 AM
red racer

I see that you have split the water supply to your exhaust
and inter cooler. If you left it combined, would this have caused
the exhaust to run hot / dry until the thermostat opened??? I
was planning on taking out the thermostat or (heard) that I
could drill some holes in it to keep the headers getting some
water.

Does this sound right????

Old 05-14-2002, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Kanookstr,

Thanks for the very comprehensive information! I followed Procharger's recommendation for my set ups using a 140 degree stat drilled with (4) 3/16" holes. Frankly I don't think the stat ever opens because I generally see water temps only around 130 degrees (I installed oil thermostats to try and help prevent condensation in the oil). I'm concerned about water pressure with the unopened stat and plan to check it out this weekend.

If my water pressure is excessive I'll probably try your approach to relieve some more of the water pressure (through the exhaust) prior to entering the block.

Are you connecting your intercooler to the engine's crossover tube or to a t-fitting on the 1 1/4" sea water pump line?

Thanks for the valuable input!
Old 05-14-2002, 04:52 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Red racer, The reason I am not using the stat housing to supply my exhaust manifolds is because it gets hot/dry till the stat opens.
With the "T" in the cross tube, they get cold water all the time, and it also gets my pressure down.
You can also tap the stat water to dump into the exhaust, but I didn't want to shock the stat with the cold water. Also the more water you push out with the exhaust, the more Power it steels
The inter cooler only needs water when your on the way, so I took the line from the out drive to supply the intercooler.
My thru transom pickup supplies the engine.

Revelocity, Yes check your water pressure!!! I can almost garantee you will be very High!!! the Procharger Stat housing has no By pass like the merc. Even those few holes in the stat isn't enough. Thats why they say run without the stat. I will try and get pictures of my cross over tube this weekend. I put the merc "T" underneath (bottom) of the cross over tube. so the hoses are going left and right.
This way it clears all the procharger brackets. I even was able to use the stock hoses
My intercooler is tapped into the outdrive feed hose, instead of blocking that off when I installed the thru transom water pickup. I used it to feed my intercooler. But you gave me an Idea I might put it back into the cross over tube. I still have a few more pounds of water pressure to lose, and that may be enough to get me there. Right now I am at 29 lbs, I want to see 22-25 lbs.
Good luck guys

Last edited by Kanookstr; 05-14-2002 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:26 AM
red racer

Thanks for the update....

I can't believe that Procharger would allow these routing
issues to happen. I have the Stainless crossover that
included a bypass when the thermostat is closed which
feeds my headers. This worked well without the NEW
Procharger recommended set-up. I'll see if I can route the
bypass with a "T" to make both work.

I am interested in your pictures...

See them soon... Thanks

Quick Reply: Procharger thermostat question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.