Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Buying a boat, what engine test should be done? >

Buying a boat, what engine test should be done?

Notices

Buying a boat, what engine test should be done?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Buying a boat, what engine test should be done?

Looking at buying 10 year old boat with either a 454 Magnum or 502 Magnum.

Was going to have a compression and/or leak down test.

What should be done to check the condition of the engine?

Also, when buying private, how do I check if there is a lein or loan on the boat??
Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Compression test is good. Leakdowns are good, but sometimes they can give false readings.

How many hours on them? Oil samples would be nice, but take a while.

As for the lien, i think your bank can look that info up.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to be doing a leakdown or compression test, you will pull the sparkplugs, make sure you look at them. A little rust on any of them can be indicative of a big problem with reversion/leaky riser or can show an overall lack of maintenance by the previous owner.

Definitely start the engine and sit in the engine compartment with it if possible.

Check the oil. Run the engine, then check it again.

Look at the overall cleanliness of the bilge. A dirty bilge is usually a sign of a poor maintenance plan, especially if it is full of oil.

If you have access to one, a lighted bore scope is very handy for looking at pistons and valves. They are pricey though.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

A lien will be filed in the county where the boat is registered and will be noted on the title.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
A lien will be filed in the county where the boat is registered and will be noted on the title.
Unless it is in a No-Title state, like Delaware. If that is the case, it MIGHT be on the registration card, however it is pretty much up to the owner to have it written on there as they dont check or have any way of knowing.

Good Luck.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

My recommendation is to make sure you go out and drive the boat. A lot of time this is not done. I'd agree on a price pending a sea trial. Run the boat and carefully look at it. While it's warm after the trial, look at the oil, make sure to check the drive fluid also. Then do a compression check. Easy to do yourself. If all that's alright I'd feel comfortable.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to save yourselft some time and money soon after getting it home here are some things that I would want to check before transfering money.

1. Inspect boat for signs of sinkage or water damage and stains inside the interior, gunnels, bilge where water may have been sitting for any length of time. Look for unusual stress cracks excluding the normal ones around radiuses. When most boats sink they incur stress cracks that are not consistent with normal operation.

2. Fuel – check contents of filter, ask when last changed, ask how long current load of fuel has been sitting in the tank(s), when was fuel last added?

3. Run engine (preferably under load) and take sample of oil and send to Caterpillar for analysis.

4. Leak down test (not compression) – pull all spark plugs out, inspect them and test cylinder leakage at tdc. Makes notes for % on each corresponding cylinder.

5. If leak test is good for all cylinders, pull of exhaust manifolds for visual of exhaust ports on both, the head and manifold itself. You’re looking for water trails on the inside of the exhaust that haven't yet caused any damage. If it is going to need exhaust replaced in the near future, now would be a good time to take that off the price.

6. Pull drive off and check for rubber leaks. Pull drain plugs out of drive and check magnets. Check color and smell of oil. If present, water will come out quickly before the entire lot of oil does. Check drive coupler and check splines on input shaft for knifing or lack of grease.

7. Inspect the bilge during AND after a run to look for oil leaks, antifreeze leaks, water leaks, broken hose clamps lying in bilge etc.

All the cosmetic stuff including broken door latches, damaged or faded carpet and sun damaged upholstery is also important in terms of what it costs to replace but these things are the very last thing to take interest in. A nice, covered, pretty boat is still very expensive to repair if the above doesn’t look good. This is true particularly for one who can not or does not do his own repairs. Upon arriving to check the boat out, notice if it has been stored with drive all or most of the way up. This stretches out the bellows and leaves them in the fully extended state. They usually die quicker this way. Based on common sense, if the owner did not know this than there are probably other things he didn’t know to do either… This is all just careful opinion.