Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New boat with 500efi and Procharger. ? on this set up! >

New boat with 500efi and Procharger. ? on this set up!

Notices

New boat with 500efi and Procharger. ? on this set up!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New boat with 500efi and Procharger. ? on this set up!

Just purchased a 26' Warhawk cat with a 500efi and a Procharger. Purchased this boat from a lady whos husband had passed away and have very little info on who and what all was done to the motor. The boat is a 2005 with 42 hours on it. Got a cd with it full of pictures of the heads being removed and ported and polished. Have before/after intake/exhaust flow reports. Dont know who done this work but do know that it was done when the boat was 1st purchased new. Right before he died the Procharger was installed. Best I know the boat was still being tested. Know it dont have the correct prop on it yet, 28p Bravo Lab on it now. Dont know who done this work and if it was done and set up correct. Have only run the boat on hose since purchased. Scared to lake test due to who done the work and if it is set up correct, dont want to take chances of hurting the motor. I am looking for ideas on what to do. I would really like to pull the motor out and take it to someone who knows this setup really well that can make sure it is set up correct or get it set up for me. I had rather spend a little money on it to make sure it is safe and reliable. Dont want to mess up what I got. Any info on anyone in the southeast who has this experience? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

You simply don't know what you have......spend a few bucks, pull the motor and take it to a shop that can tune this setup (like Performance Marine). Even though it might be good now, you'll know where you are with it. This will certainly be cheaper than a re-build.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

There are quite a few things that need to be done to make a Procharger work properly. First is to not believe anything that Procharger tells you. You MUST reprogram the ecm if you want it to run worth a damn, much less stay together. Procharger tries to tune the engine solely on fuel pressure. It is to inaccurate to do that consistently. The only true way to get a good tune is to do it on the dyno. There are only a few of us that can really tune that engine like it should be.
Next you have to get rid of the rising rate regulator that comes with the kit. If you are programming the ecm, then there is no reason to have 80 psi of fuel pressure. A standard 1:1 boost referenced regulator works great.
The stock Merc fuel filter head has to go. The 1/4" npt fittings in that filter head will not flow enough fuel. You also need to be sure that the fuel system in the boat is up to the task...ie, large enough pickup in the tank, no anti-siphon valve, large enough fuel lines, etc. You must also return the fuel to the tank and not the filter or suction side of the pump. The fuel supply lines to the fuel rail also need to be addressed.
The rail itself needs some mods as well. The holes that supply some of the injectors need to be opened up in order to flow enough fuel to the injector.
This covers the basic and most important items that need to be addressed. Although it may sound like a lot, it really isn't. This has come from quite a number of years of working on Prochargers and figuring out how to make them work consistently and reliably. They can be very reliable and make excellent power when properly done. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or if I can help in any way. Thanks, and good luck with your new toy.
Eddie
Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As always Eddie....you are the man!!

Chris
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Registered

Thanks buddy. Haven't heard from you this week
Give me a call when you can and I will get you up to speed on the distributorless ignition I have been working on. See ya.
Eddie
Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eddie, why do you say that the fuel MUST be returned to the tanks?

I run my fuel system as "semi returnless" and the leftover fuel back into the filter head on my 900sc/efi and have seen absolutely no problems with doing so.

Fuel is pulled from the tanks thru a primary filter by a LP pump. That feeds a 3 gallon "pony tank" at 3psi. From there it goes thru the filter / seperator to a cooler, the hp pump, the rails and then thru the reg back to the fitler / seperator. I went this route to help reduce "fuming" and airation in the tanks.
Do you see any issue with this setup?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Registered

Running the return line back to the tank will typically cause the fuel to become aerated. That is especially true in the Procharger setup in this case. The Aeromotive pump that comes with the kit is capable of supporting WAY more power than it will make. So, it is returning the majority of fuel that it is pumping. That fuel is going to get heated up and aerated.
In your case, it works because of the reservior tank you have. That allows the air to escape out of the fuel. You are also probably closer to what the pump can support on power. It isn't so bad if you have a pump that will support 1000 hp and you make 900 rather than a pump that can support 1000 hp and you are making 650 hp. Hope that helps to explain it.
Eddie