Paging Tinkerboater, Troutly, Anyone Else >

Paging Tinkerboater, Troutly, Anyone Else

Notices

Paging Tinkerboater, Troutly, Anyone Else

Old 05-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Tinkerboater, Troutly, Anyone Else

I haven't had any problems with my 1999 29' Outlaw with twin 454 Mags. Well, that was until recently. I replaced the main sea water hose this spring. It was leaking due to a crack so I replaced the hose. This was on the port motor. I ran my boat last weekend and now the port motor seems to fluctuate in temperature from 160-200 degrees. In fact, the temperature can go from 200 to 160 in a blink of an eye. (Both motors ran a constant 175 degrees all last summer.)

QUESTION: Is the replacing of the sea water hose have any correlation to the problem that I am seeing? Or, do you think that my thermostat is bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this a closed cooling system? If not 175 is way too hot. I run mine at 160 deg. ( 160 deg. stat ) If your temp is jumping that fast I would think that you have steam hitting the temp sensor. Check to see how much water flow you have coming out of the engine. Lets take a step back. You said that you replaced the seawater hose. Is this hose the one that goes from the outdrive to the seawater pump? If it is than did you use the same style of hose or did you just buy hose of the same diameter. The intake hose is a special hose that wont collapse from suction. Standard hose will collapse under suction.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Registered

Yes, it is the hose from the outdrive and I do not have closed cooling. Well, the hose was not exactly the same as the original one. My Baja Dealer here in town is the one that ordered the part for me. The original hose was more of a squishy rubber versus the hose I installed. This hose is very stiff with the same diameter (I think). It looks like one of those hoses with black hocked tape around it from tip to tail. Where exactly is the temperature sensor? Speaking of which, my thermostat housing sure feels hotter than the other motor.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

It sounds like you have the correct hose. You probably have a bad connection and are sucking air. Are these engines fuel injected? What is the factory stock thermostat?
Old 05-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Registered

Tinkerboater, thanks again for your help. Yes, these motors are 1999 454 Mags with MPI/EFI. I'm not sure the factory stock thermostat! So, if the hose seems to be correct what else should I check?
Old 05-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Registered

You are running too hot for an open system I believe your engine should have a 142 deg. thermostat. It should never run much hotter than the thermostat. You should replace the impeller in the seawater pump if they havnt been changed recently. also check the connections of the new hose at both ends. You may be drawing in air. Sometimes you have to double clamp the outdrive end. If you have never replaced the impellers before and there are pieces missing from the old one. look for the pieces in the end of the oil cooler. The end cap comes off.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:42 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

If the gauge is fluctuating at a blink of an eye I would look at the gauge, sensor, or the wire to the sensor rubbing on the block. I wouldn't think those sensors read temperature fluctuation that fast to sense a momentary burst of steam in the motor.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:51 AM
Registered

Thanks all for the information and help. I'll give it a look and let you know what I find.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:15 AM
Registered

Here's an update of my temperature dilemma. I replaced both thermostats which were 160 degree t-stats. The port motor is still having some heat issues even on the hose at home. The starboard motor is doing well, it's just the port side that is having the problem. My temperature gage is reading almost 200 degrees at idle. What else should I check or replace?

Could it be that I have sand or some other blockage in one of the hoses? Or, should I look at the impeller? I know it's hard to tell, but it didn't seem as though there was as much water coming out of the exhaust as on the starboard motor. What are your thoughts here?

Thanks for your replies Tinkerboater, Troutly, or anyone else. BTW, I have tomorrow off from work so any help this evening would be appreciated.

Last edited by Advantage; 05-24-2002 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:49 AM
Registered

TTT

Quick Reply: Paging Tinkerboater, Troutly, Anyone Else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.