Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mercury Racing blue motors: 500EFI, 525 EFI, 575 SCI. Pros/cons/maintenance/etc. >

Mercury Racing blue motors: 500EFI, 525 EFI, 575 SCI. Pros/cons/maintenance/etc.

Notices

Mercury Racing blue motors: 500EFI, 525 EFI, 575 SCI. Pros/cons/maintenance/etc.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Probably wasn't a 525
Yes it is. It's a scan from my motor.

I've noticed some wierd stuff with diacom when I scan my 525 that I never notice when I scanned 496's. An example is a lot of the faults display "65535" seconds. I called Rinda and they didn't really give me any conclusive info.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
Yes it is. It's a scan from my motor.

I've noticed some wierd stuff with diacom when I scan my 525 that I never notice when I scanned 496's. An example is a lot of the faults display "65535" seconds. I called Rinda and they didn't really give me any conclusive info.
Dave,

Lots of weird stuff will happen when you don't upgrade your cable.

One thing I noticed is that mine will talk to a late model 525 but it won't do it in the "525" menu selection.

If I choose "496" it works (mostly) because the 555 box has similarities across the board.

It further complicates it when you upgrade your software from their site but don't upgrade the cable.

I'm not saying for sure that this is your issue but it sounds identical to the problems I've experienced from lack of cable upgrade.

Hope this helps you guys,
Cheers!

PS If you send in your cable with contact info they will do it for free (i think i was told that..).
Old 02-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered

How do you get a 525 over 5,400 rpm? That's where the rev limiter is supposed to kick in. The service manual puts top operating speed at 5,250 rpm I believe.
I have seen some errors in their factory manuals when they use some of the same language that crosses over on several models.

The tech writers use templates and modify from that point. The new 525's limit at 5400. At least that's what I read.

The reason it can read higher is if you bounced the limiter. Depending on engine model, it will still tell you what the number was even if it's over the limiter. Having a "limit" doesn't mean the sensor or the computer can't read past it.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

So a 525 EFI can hit almost 5,500 rpm?? I routinely hit my limiter on "good" days. I was told to run it there because that's where the power is but I didn't think it could go over 5,400 rpm. I back off a bit when the horn sounds and don't think I've ever actually gone into the limiter mode but high enough to sound the horn plenty of times.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

So a 525 EFI can hit almost 5,500 rpm?? I routinely hit my limiter on "good" days. I was told to run it there because that's where the power is but I didn't think it could go over 5,400 rpm. I back off a bit when the horn sounds and don't think I've ever actually gone into the limiter mode but high enough to sound the horn plenty of times.
I've personally never seen a record of it running 5500. They set the range that high so that you can see how far past 5400 it has gone. Keep in mind if the prop comes unloaded long enough or if running on a dyno etc.... It starts to limit at 5400 but it can dance around and go slightly higher some times.

You're probably just seeing the "plus and minus" of a system that is pulling and adding timing very quickly. At those speeds things happen fast and it's semi-common to see an engine with an rpm history that has "hits" above the known limiter. But it shouldn't be way higher.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
I've personally never seen a record of it running 5500. They set the range that high so that you can see how far past 5400 it has gone. Keep in mind if the prop comes unloaded long enough or if running on a dyno etc.... It starts to limit at 5400 but it can dance around and go slightly higher some times.

You're probably just seeing the "plus and minus" of a system that is pulling and adding timing very quickly. At those speeds things happen fast and it's semi-common to see an engine with an rpm history that has "hits" above the known limiter. But it shouldn't be way higher.
Oh, I got it now. I'm busy at work and had a little brain fade .
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Here's the read-out I got with mine when I bought the engine: Hmm, I just noticed that there is a "clear run history" box in the lower right............
Old 02-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Registered

You can clear the run history, but you can't clear the total run time (from what I have been told). When Merc warranty replaces an engine, they leave the ECM and accessories from the engine they are replacing. That is one case where you would want to clear the run history (so you can see the run time on the "new" engine", but the ECM still shows total run time which includes the run time from the previous engine that the ECM was attached to. I learned this from a Merc repair facility (not saying that they always do what I listed above, but just what they told me ... I ask a lot of questions when I get the opportunity)
Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

I have seen some errors in their factory manuals when they use some of the same language that crosses over on several models.

The tech writers use templates and modify from that point. The new 525's limit at 5400. At least that's what I read.

The reason it can read higher is if you bounced the limiter. Depending on engine model, it will still tell you what the number was even if it's over the limiter. Having a "limit" doesn't mean the sensor or the computer can't read past it.
Their site says 5200. The help files say 5400... Info varies depending on where you get it.

Mine is at 5250 but I can bang it to 5300+ if you drive it just right....
Old 02-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Dave,

Lots of weird stuff will happen when you don't upgrade your cable.

One thing I noticed is that mine will talk to a late model 525 but it won't do it in the "525" menu selection.

If I choose "496" it works (mostly) because the 555 box has similarities across the board.

It further complicates it when you upgrade your software from their site but don't upgrade the cable.

I'm not saying for sure that this is your issue but it sounds identical to the problems I've experienced from lack of cable upgrade.

Hope this helps you guys,
Cheers!

PS If you send in your cable with contact info they will do it for free (i think i was told that..).
Thanks! I bought Diacom back in 2005. I called last fall about a software update and they said that the only changes since I purchased were for Outboards. They didn't mention anyithing about a upgraded cable. My 496 was a 2004 model and my 525 is a 2005 model. I'll try doing what you said and select "PCM 555" and see what happens.

In my case, the history shows that the previous owner didn't really run the motor too hard. But, it's strange that there was .7 hr. above 5499.

Last edited by Dave M; 02-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.